• Advertisement

Briggs Generator

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs Generator

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 06, 2017 6:47 am

They called external torx.If you ever a come cross one you don't know the size of just make match up the internal torx and divide by 5.

As for the two nuts method that how I remove studs in general though there are regular stud removal tools. That works as long they have not been red loctited in place.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat May 06, 2017 7:00 am

lefty wrote:(i was thinking some type of inverted torx or torx socket)..
You were thinking correctly - It is indeed Inverted Torx what they call them most places including my tool catalogs and automotive manuals
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 06, 2017 7:16 am

BGS,

I think both terms are use in the industry along with some proprietary names to refer to the same tool design just like several tools we use are referred to by multiple names. Some the BFH that I have is sometimes call a sledge hammer. :lol:
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 06, 2017 10:11 am

Luffydog wrote:Can also use a 4mm or 5mm socket can't remember which but a metric socket will work

Went out to the shop checked. 4mm fits but the 5/32 fits better on the the T25.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat May 06, 2017 10:22 am

Thanks for the tips. Wouldn't you know it, the set I bought yesterday only goes down to an e6. Fortunately, a friend of mine dropped off his Snap On set this morning, which goes down much further. Got the carb off and now I'll be digging into her to see what's up.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sat May 06, 2017 10:53 am

Yeah I was a couple of weeks ago I left home without my torx set luckyI had my metric set with me just couldn't remember the size right off last date. Got to love those 1/4 inch set kobalt in the case. :D
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat May 06, 2017 12:37 pm

I know my posts should be shorter and more concise. Sorry for the "story" format but my thinking is, since I'm a rookie, I want you to see my every move.

Before this machine was a no start, the owner told me it ran for about 20+ minutes before dying. He also disclosed that he put new fuel in the tank over old fuel. So we have a mix.

So I got the carb off and took it to my bench for disassembly. I tipped it upside down over a coffee can to drain as much fuel out as possible before removing the bowl. Before disassembling, I noticed a significant amount of water in the fuel.

So before diving into the carb, since the tank is enormous and was full, I figured I'd get started on draining it. In addition to crappy fuel, I noticed that the fuel was not flowing smoothly. It was a really strong, solid trickle.

I removed the fuel cap and no improvement was seen. I removed the fuel line, which is about 8-10 inches, and inspected that, which looks clear. I noticed that the nipple on the fuel shut off, which is mounted to the bottom of the tank, that someone had mashed it up pretty good creating a smaller, oval type hole. I thought this may be the cause of the restriction but then thought that it goes deeper. I'm thinking with all that fuel pressure above, I should actually get a longer shooting stream, kind of like when you partially kink a hose. But not.

So I'd like to remove that shut off. I'm thinking there is some type of filter on the other side residing inside the tank. And I'm guessing it's clogged. The fuel looked like total dung when it was coming out. Smelled even worse.

But I don't know how to remove it correctly. I can't image it's permanently attached. I twisted a bit to see if it was threaded but it didn't seem to be and I didn't want to force it. I've attached a pic.

Thank you

lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Yes it has filter screen. It just held by fiction of the grommet so it is just pulled out. But before removing it make sure you empty the tank.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat May 06, 2017 12:55 pm

Good advice. I got tired of waiting for the slow drain so I took the tank off and emptied it through the fill hole.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat May 06, 2017 2:01 pm

So I pulled the carb apart....yuck...see photo. I saw the elaborate gasket referred to earlier. It looked in good shape so I didn't want to disturb it but I made a mistake. I'm sure everyone here will laugh because it's a rookie mistake but I sprayed some carb cleaner to clean stuff out and some got on the gasket. So it doesn't quite want to fit right anymore, appears to have stretched out. So I imagine I'll be getting a new one? Anyway, this is obviously a fuel delivery problem for a number of reasons.

lefty
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum