• Advertisement

Mower engines

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Mower engines

Postby RoyM » Sun May 07, 2017 9:16 pm

I just watched a Canadian Tire ad for Yardworks mowers bragging about how quiet they are with Briggs engines. Their flyer also shows only Briggs. Has MTD dropped the Powermore engines?
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Mower engines

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 08, 2017 7:31 am

RoyM wrote:I Their flyer also shows only Briggs. Has MTD dropped the Powermore engines?

Not so far as I know I am betting they are being "boosted" as a "premium" option but we're actually seeing more new tractors with powermore engines too

*edit* Oh yeah - I also have a suspicion the powermore engines were being built by Subaru - and Subaru is leaving the OPE Engines business - they stop production of their engines Sept 30 of this year (2017) so that may be related.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 08, 2017 8:33 am

bgsengine wrote:*edit* Oh yeah - I also have a suspicion the powermore engines were being built by Subaru - and Subaru is leaving the OPE Engines business - they stop production of their engines Sept 30 of this year (2017) so that may be related.

Then a question arises here. Is Subaru planning on continue parts support for the current and past engines or are they going to do us like Tecumseh did? I have been servicing several Subaru, Robins, and old Wisconsins.

When it come the MTD Powermore engines I have only seen two them on riders, One is still going and the other a rod through the crankcase. Beside that only seen one on a walk behind.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby sawman » Mon May 08, 2017 9:01 am

Subaru small engine division is being taken over by Yamaha as Subaru wants to concentrate more on the automotive industry.
sawman

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 08, 2017 9:06 am

Now I feel a little better...tnx Sawman. I got one customer with UTV that has a 650 in it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum