• Advertisement

Briggs Twin 791230 outer gasket setup??

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs Twin 791230 outer gasket setup??

Postby dart451 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:23 am

Hi,
Still working on this Briggs twin 445877-0760-E1. Got the new carburetor and I'm installing it but...I know someone else has had this carb off (found many screw-ups already) and I would like to get the new gasket sequence properly installed before I put it on the engine! The only book I don't have is a Briggs OHV Twin book which I'm ordering today but...can someone help me with getting the outer gaskets sequenced properly?? I don't trust the gasket sequence I took off! Thanks in advance!
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs Twin 791230 outer gasket setup??

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 08, 2017 11:38 am

The only book I don't have is a Briggs OHV Twin book which I'm ordering today but...can someone help me with getting the outer gaskets sequenced properly?? I don't trust the gasket sequence I took off! Thanks in advance!

Unless you're just wanting a hard copy why not just download it from my G drive. Links are in the download section.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:48 am

KE4AVB wrote:
The only book I don't have is a Briggs OHV Twin book which I'm ordering today but...can someone help me with getting the outer gaskets sequenced properly?? I don't trust the gasket sequence I took off! Thanks in advance!

Unless you're just wanting a hard copy why not just download it from my G drive. Links are in the download section.

Sorry to sound stupid but..."G drive"?? I did look under downloads/manuals, etc...I found OHV twin but it didn't seem to show a gasket sequence... :roll:
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 08, 2017 12:03 pm

G Drive = Google Drive > Sorry I forget sometimes.

Gasket in order the one with the large single goes between the air cleaner adaptor and the carburetor. On the carburetor to intake depends if it yours was setup with a restrictor plate or not. If the restrictor was use than a two gasket one each side of the restrictor plate. Restrictor plate lips goes down and inward to intake. Also the two gaskets only fits one way. Obivious on install as the holes should line up and not offset.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Ok, here is a picture ( I hope) of the way the gaskets were on the old carburetor. If the restrictor plate is this extra gasket that has half the holes covered up, that is what was on the old carburetor...do I need it? I thought it was odd to have two gaskets up against each other but I do notice the one is half blocked. The half closed gasket did not come with the new carburetor so I'd have to use the old gasket there.
I re-read your response and I understand that the restrictor plate is the metal plate...with a gasket on each side of it. However, the only thing holding me up now is the one gasket with half of each hole blocked. I'm wondering if this gasket is even necessary...

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/5193/H0rtD1.jpg
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 08, 2017 2:51 pm

dart451 wrote:Ok, here is a picture ( I hope) of the way the gaskets were on the old carburetor. If the restrictor plate is this extra gasket that has half the holes covered up, that is what was on the old carburetor...do I need it? I thought it was odd to have two gaskets up against each other but I do notice the one is half blocked. The half closed gasket did not come with the new carburetor so I'd have to use the old gasket there.
I re-read your response and I understand that the restrictor plate is the metal plate...with a gasket on each side of it. However, the only thing holding me up now is the one gasket with half of each hole blocked. I'm wondering if this gasket is even necessary...

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/5193/H0rtD1.jpg

What you need is your engine model, type and date code, so the correct gaskets can be looked up and from there you can determine whether or not it should have restrictor plate gaskets.

*edit* found your model in the OP, does not appear to have a date code requirement, but from parts list, appears your engine does use the restrictor plate gasket but it is only available as a set (though the 2 gaskets to either side of it are available separately)
Last edited by bgsengine on Mon May 08, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dart451 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:58 pm

445877-0760-E1 code 070126YG Where might I discover the gaskets required please?
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 08, 2017 3:01 pm

Seems to be a feature only on the briggs power portal parts lookup , but where the part has a "callout tag" clickable and is not used for a particular type numbert (as entered) it pops a message "Part not available for this model-type" or similar - since that does not pop up with the restrictor pllate gasket set, one would assume your engine does use them.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dart451 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:08 pm

Ok, thank you. I will try using the old restrictor gasket in place of the non-restrictor gasket...Non-restrictor gasket, restrictor plate, restrictor gasket, to manifold...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:31 pm

Ok, got it back together and it seems to run just fine. Curious though...why would some engines require a restrictor gasket and others not?
dart451
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum