• Advertisement

Grey gasket maker removal

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Grey gasket maker removal

Postby BLES » Tue May 09, 2017 2:26 pm

What does everyone do or use to remove the grey gasket maker which is becoming increasingly popular with the engine makers? In the past, I've used a soft brass wire wheel a lot, with traditional gaskets. But it doesn't work well on this stuff.

BLES
BLES
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Grey gasket maker removal

Postby Fulltilt » Tue May 09, 2017 3:36 pm

Don't know what all them other so-called " technicians" use, but me, being a mechanic, I use an industrial single edged razor blade, (avail in hardware stores), a hand stainless wire "toothbrush" and carb spray or lacquer thinner.
I 'm not a big fan of using power wire wheels or rolocs . They seem to ever so slightly round the mating surface/edges. I never use them.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Tue May 09, 2017 3:58 pm

Yup . like fulltilt , we'll spray it down with some carb & choke cleaner solvent to soften it up and finish the job with a good square cut scraper or razor blade, a brass wire "toothbrush" type brush for the hard to get spots (like around lineup pins, etc) - power wheels and roloc pads are outlawed in our shop - not only do they quickly damage soft aluminum surfaces, but they also throw their debris into nooks and crannies and makes the cleanup a lot harder than it has to be.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Fulltilt » Tue May 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Yeah, buddy, that's some tenacious stuff ! But, I absolutely do not use any form of power tools to remove it. Just good old fashioned elbow grease and scraping.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby BLES » Fri May 12, 2017 12:00 am

Thanks for the thoughts.
BLES
BLES
Guide

Postby acscolo » Mon May 15, 2017 8:02 am

I use 3M - 18733 Roloc Bristle Disc Grade - 120 (white) and not suffered any ill effects.
acscolo

Return to Technical Discussion Forum