• Advertisement

gcv160 gjaea stl1

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: gcv160 gjaea stl1

Postby 38racing » Tue May 09, 2017 5:40 pm

so wider side does go against block as it's diameter matches block diameter and narrow matches carb hole diameter. I thought of the stud idea as I've used it for heads and sumps but I knew I had no metric stuff to use (up here in metric land lol). Going to look for some long metric bolts of that size.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Tue May 09, 2017 5:52 pm

This should help with the correct orientation.

Mounting those carb are a real PITA, believe me, as our fearless leader says.

NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Tue May 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Yeah, buddy, them honda carbs are indeed a pain...unless you use the stud trick as was mentioned by Brian.
I use a couple of Kawasaki carb bolts ( they're good and long) with the heads cut off , with a slight taper/chamfer ground and I cut a screwdriver slot in the end.
It would be worth it to snag a couple of them Kaw bolts. A dlr could order them for you, or Fleabay might could have them.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 10, 2017 7:46 pm

Fulltilt wrote:It would be worth it to snag a couple of them Kaw bolts. A dlr could order them for you, or Fleabay might could have them.

Ever heard of Fastenal? $0.70 ea is a lot better than $2.99 OEM screws. Just brought 3ea M6-100 x 100mm for a flywheel removal job.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Wed May 10, 2017 8:06 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
Fulltilt wrote:It would be worth it to snag a couple of them Kaw bolts. A dlr could order them for you, or Fleabay might could have them.

Ever heard of Fastenal? $0.70 ea is a lot better than $2.99 OEM screws. Just brought 3ea M6-100 x 100mm for a flywheel removal job.

No, bud, never heard of them. Do they sell bulk quantities of RTV ? Because I'm running a little low on the stuff. Or do they just sell nuts and bolts?
Why would I buy them anyways? The set I use I rescued from the scrap pile where I used to work about 10 years or so ago.

But perhaps 38 could use them, no?
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Wed May 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Fulltilt wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:

No, bud, never heard of them. Do they sell bulk quantities of RTV ? Because I'm running a little low on the stuff. Or do they just sell nuts and bolts?
Why would I buy them anyways? The set I use I rescued from the scrap pile where I used to work about 10 years or so ago.

Yeah Fastenal is a relatively new company on the market - sort of an industrial/commercial jobber (like NAPA is to Auto Repair) - they carry all kinds of stuff, you can order on line, and who knows might even have a store in your hometown or nearby and dont know it (They had one for 2 years in a nearby town I never knew it was there despite driving by many times - they seem kind of low-key, low-profile that way)

I believe they do sell RTV , and lots of other stuff besides.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 11, 2017 3:08 am

Fulltilt wrote: No, bud, never heard of them. Do they sell bulk quantities of RTV ? Because I'm running a little low on the stuff. Or do they just sell nuts and bolts?

Don't know what is available North of the Border.

Probably out your el cheapo price range. They sell quality items and not that Big Box store items like drill bits that actually hold edge to drill 10+ 1" holes into steel and not dull to a point where they can't even make it through a 1/16" of angle iron like the ones I got from Lowe's. Matter of fact I got to go back this morning for a box of stainless steel pop 3/16 rivets.

Now I probably be ordering my rivet nuts inserts from ******** along with some self locking threaded metric inserts. They are my source for machinist tools and materials.

Got to go a reboot is in 5 minutes got to shut down the accounting system.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu May 11, 2017 6:14 am

we have Fastenal but when I was looking for something one time I thought they were wholesale so I could only buy in quantity. I actually am still on their email list.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Thu May 11, 2017 6:42 am

bgsengine wrote:Yeah Fastenal is a relatively new company on the market - sort of an industrial/commercial jobber (like NAPA is to Auto Repair) - they carry all kinds of stuff, you can order on line, and who knows might even have a store in your hometown or nearby and dont know it (They had one for 2 years in a nearby town I never knew it was there despite driving by many times - they seem kind of low-key, low-profile that way)

I believe they do sell RTV , and lots of other stuff besides.

Actually Brian, I know full well about fastenal, they have a store in the industrial park right up the road a bit. Just don't deal with them. I prefer to deal with a couple small mom/pop fastener houses semi close to me. Also have a long standing account with the local Grainger's supply house, as well as with Lawson and Kimball Midwest ( K-M sells a really good set of TiN drill bits that have the flats on the shanks) All well suited to my " el cheapo" budget constraints.
The RTV was a reference to your buddies snarky remark about me using it on head gaskets, which I rather enjoyed. When I replied that I actually use silver spray paint on some head gaskets,... well, no comment from the peanut gallery. I guess they never heard of it...probably too old school for them...

But, yeah, they do seem to sell a lot of stuff, I perused my local store once...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby 38racing » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 pm

When I spoke to neighbour a week or so ago he said it was running ok. A bit of hesitation as loading up in the grass. (I think he cuts it too short) . Now I see it back in my yard . I haven't spoke to him yet but I see that again he has the choke wired mostly closed. I did a quick try to start it and it would not start, even on carb cleaner. I stopped because there is a recoil issue that my fix was not good enough and now I'll need to put one on from one of my to test further. But if it is running lean again that's two new carbs that went lean. Any chance out of spec valve clearance could be creating a lean condition?
38racing
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum