• Advertisement

B & S carb leaking

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

B & S carb leaking

Postby Ron » Sat May 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Model 195437-0150-01 Code 83011412
Carb leaking,,replaced needle and seat. Still leaks. Took it apart and filled bowl and let it sit. It is leaking from around the nozzle on the inside. Tried to unscrew the nozzle but it only comes out part way and gets real tight to the point I fear of screwing up the threads. What say--new carb? Looks like 160.00. I see lower body assy is available but not sure of part number. Is it 390403?? And does it come with nozzle and needle valve? Also google search shows an complete aftermarket carb for around 20 bucks...junk?? https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field- ... mozilla-20
Ron
Guide

Advertisement

Re: B & S carb leaking

Postby bgsengine » Sat May 13, 2017 3:53 pm

if you can find them - you could run a 5/16-32 NEF (not 5/16-24 which is more common) tap up through - what often happens is someone with the wrong type of screwdriver damaged the threads while trying to remove it - and frequently , corrosion of the aluminum can happen too - you need the right kind of screwdriver to remove those nozzles properly - if you can find the tap (Obsolete briggs # 19245 tap set contains 1/4-32 and 5/16-32 NEF taps) you can often rescue the lower body by cleaning up the threads before removing nozzle

But if you are willing to splurge a bit you can always just buy a new carb.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Sorry for butting in but you also need the right style.

Those taps needs to be a bottoming tap and not the standard taper tap as you want cleanup as many threads as you can.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Sat May 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Ron wrote:Model195437 Type 0150-01 Code 83011412
Carb leaking,,replaced needle and seat. Still leaks. Took it apart and filled bowl and let it sit. It is leaking from around the nozzle on the inside. Tried to unscrew the nozzle but it only comes out part way and gets real tight to the point I fear of screwing up the threads. What say--new carb? Looks like 160.00. I see lower body assy is available but not sure of part number. Is it 390403?? And does it come with nozzle and needle valve? Also google search shows an complete aftermarket carb for around 20 bucks...junk?? https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field- ... mozilla-20

I haven't had any problems using the bootleg carbs, not that particular one , but several B&S and Tecumseh types. Get them on fleabay...free shipping, no sales taxes. ( most times)

The trick tap is avail on fleabay also, $6.00 free ship.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Different story here as the last two Zama clones were nothing but junk; couldn't even adjust them. They even file off the carburetor numbers so they were rejects or stolen items.

Anyway I will not be buying anymore through E-bay.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Sat May 13, 2017 8:44 pm

Never had a problem with the cube type either, just put one on a Mantis tiller, fired right up and adjusted fine with no issues. Same with several other cubes.
Carb numbers filed off ???? Huh?
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby Ron » Sat May 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Thanks fellas, how about the bottom assembly? Part number? And does it come with nozzle and needle valve?
Ron
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 14, 2017 7:05 am

PN 299170 Briggs suggested list price is $73

I never have ordered one and honestly I don't know if it would come with the nozzle or not but it not in the included line box on the IPL.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Sun May 14, 2017 7:06 am

Ron wrote:Thanks fellas, how about the bottom assembly? Part number? And does it come with nozzle and needle valve?

You're SOL on the lower body. Briggs parts lookup here: https://shop.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/repair-parts

And did you check for throttle shaft wear? That's an old motor, no?
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 14, 2017 7:56 am

Fulltilt wrote:You're SOL on the lower body. Briggs parts lookup here: https://shop.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/repair-parts

And did you check for throttle shaft wear? That's an old motor, no?

Wait a minute Fulltilt. I just checked with my Briggs distributor and the part number I gave is available through them. I would had a got kickback if it wasn't in the warehouse.

I could tell you what my dealer price is but I won't. (Edit: And I know most don't care)

Throttle shaft wear is an easy fix if needed as is the body wear as you just ream and install bushings if needed. Of course when you got the equipment to do so it easier done as to keep things lined up. Earlier I saved a customer's Kawasaki' 2 barrel Nikki carburetor by installing a new choke shaft bushing. I don't expect to see many with a choke shaft worn completely in two as most times it the throttle shaft. Bill went from over $300 to $150 to rebuild carburetor and would have been even less if I knew what I know today how to get to Kawasaki part numbers for those JD spec engines for which JD will only give their in house part numbers for.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum