• Advertisement

Ariens Tractor Transmission

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Ariens Tractor Transmission

Postby lefty » Sat May 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Ariens Lawn Tractor:

Model: 93608300/A19A42

Engine Make: Briggs
Engine Model: 33R877
Engine Type: 0009-G1 (per Briggs. Type suffix on valve cover is -01....confused a bit)
Engine Code: 131025ZD

The owner tells me this machine is 3 years old. No service has been performed per owner. The oil looks clean and at level.

Came in as a no start and transmission problems. The no start was a battery as a known good battery started the machine with no problems.

Side note: When I first got it started, which is the first start of the season, a noticeable amount of smoke came out through the exhaust but quickly dissipated. It may have had a blueish tinge to it. But I could not repeat. I'm guessing that it has to do with some weak cranking with no start that the owner performed? Not sure if it's a sign of a problem.

Anyhow, I've solved the no start issue so on to the transmission issue. Owner reports that at the end of last season, when going in reverse, it would not stop. This machine appears to have a hydro trans and you push a lever with the heel to go in reverse. You also need to turn the key back one click to go into reverse. He reports that it goes in reverse and then he has to turn the key back to forward and press the forward lever with the foot again to stop it from going in reverse. The machine then jerks and finally stops going in reverse.

When I had it started, I went forward a little. When I let off the accelerator, I noticed the machine creeping forward. I hit the break and it stopped. I did not test reverse issue because I didn't want to crash into my tool box as it's in my garage.

I guess I would, at this point, classify it as a sticking issue but you guys are the pros. Any advice on how to tackle the issue? I've never worked on a hydrostatic transmission issue. My Z-turn is hydro but I haven't had any problems except for a break gear that fell of due to a lost c-clip. Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Ariens Tractor Transmission

Postby RJRacing » Sat May 13, 2017 9:16 pm

is this a black plastic trans ??
RJRacing

Postby lefty » Sun May 14, 2017 7:49 am

It does appear to be plastic. I was doing some research and think a may be debris fouling up the works. I'm going to blow it out really good and see if that solves the problem.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 14, 2017 8:22 am

Then it should be the General Transmissions RS800P. There is not not a whole lot of things you can do to repair these but a copy repair manual may help.

Drop me a PM with your email AD and I send you the repair manual.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Sun May 14, 2017 8:44 am

lefty wrote:It does appear to be plastic. I was doing some research and think a may be debris fouling up the works. I'm going to blow it out really good and see if that solves the problem.

For the manual, all you ( or anybody else) have to do is GOOGLE "General Transmissions RS800P manual"... pops right out at you.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby lefty » Sun May 14, 2017 9:14 am

Fulltilt wrote:
For the manual, all you ( or anybody else) have to do is GOOGLE "General Transmissions RS800P manual"... pops right out at you.

That's what I meant by research.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby RJRacing » Sun May 14, 2017 9:56 pm

check the forward reverse rod at the trans, it's held on by a push nut, and the push nut will fall off and allow the rod to come lose and cause drive problems
RJRacing

Postby KE4AVB » Mon May 15, 2017 12:56 am

RJRacing ,

Tnx for sharing your knowledge of this transmissions as I have only seen one mower in my shop so far with the RS800F version.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon May 15, 2017 6:02 am

RJRacing wrote:check the forward reverse rod at the trans, it's held on by a push nut, and the push nut will fall off and allow the rod to come lose and cause drive problems

Thanks RJ. I can get a good look at the top of the trans once the battery compartment is removed. I can kind of see where that linkage you speak of is but my view is obstructed by a cover. I think this is the protective cover referenced in the manual and easy enough to remove after removing the inversion security system.

Will this be enough to give me a better look at that push nut or am I reading this all wrong. Or do you suggest I remove the whole transmission? Doesn't look like there's a lot of room to work down here.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon May 15, 2017 7:07 am

I think you can disregard my last post. I think the push nut you're referring to is on the top of the pin and clearly visible from above? I think I see it in place.

There was a lot of crap in and around the transmission, which I have been removing with a vacuum, compressed air...etc. I'll give it a try once it's all cleaned out and report.
lefty
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum