• Advertisement

Kohler 12HP replacement

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler 12HP replacement

Postby apalmerjr » Tue May 16, 2017 6:29 pm

I have a Cub Cadet 1330 tractor with a blown up 12 Hp vertical shaft Kohler. I was given a John Deere Kohler 15HP engine that looks identical to the 12Hp so I started changing it. It bolted down just fine and the drive pulley and belt went on okay but when I went to put the electric blade clutch on it, it didn't work out so good. It slid right up on the crankshaft but when I went to put the big long bolt into the end of the crankshaft it was too small in diameter. I was wondering if anyone knew the size of the hole in the John Deer Kohler crankshaft. It's already threaded, just too big for my bolt. Thanks.
apalmerjr

Advertisement

Re: Kohler 12HP replacement

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Need the model and spec numbers off the JD Kohler to look-up. I haven't that closer attention the bolt sizes as I change out many engines.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: Kohler 12.5HP replacement

Postby apalmerjr » Tue May 16, 2017 7:22 pm

The engine I'm swapping in is model CV15S Spec No. 41594 Serial 3008905533. I assume the bolts are metric.
apalmerjr

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 16, 2017 7:49 pm

I learnt a long time ago what assume means.

Looked up the crankshaft specs. The bolt is a 7/16-20 UNF-20B per the specs

Engine manufactured in 2000.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Tue May 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Ke4avb you said you replace a lot of engines. I changed out 6 this last week. 2 thur the week and 4 this last Saturday. This year already looks like an all engine year. Just wanted u to know I feel what your going through.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby apalmerjr » Tue May 16, 2017 10:58 pm

The reason I assumed it was metric was because the rest of the bolts appeared to be metric. I used metric wrenches and sockets to remove them anyway.. Thanks for the replies.
apalmerjr

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 17, 2017 5:27 am

apalmerjr wrote:The reason I assumed it was metric was because the rest of the bolts appeared to be metric. I used metric wrenches and sockets to remove them anyway.. Thanks for the replies.

Yes most of the engine bolts are metric but certain ones are not always metric. At one time I did get frustrated at equipment at that hybridized but was before I got both SAE and Metric tools. My cars required to get both. And certain sizes are interchangeable like 5/16 and 8 mm or 5/8 and 16 mm.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 17, 2017 6:12 am

Luffydog wrote:Ke4avb you said you replace a lot of engines. I changed out 6 this last week. 2 thur the week and 4 this last Saturday. This year already looks like an all engine year. Just wanted u to know I feel what your going through.

I haven't done that many in the last few weeks but I about wore out the credit card for a while earlier. I got the limit double last year and if thing keeps it up I will to get it raised again.

It goes in waves this and last week it was wiring problems galore, if I could find the tech with the wire cutters I would take them away. Boy I giving those new crimpers a workout. I wasn't thinking I be using as many terminals as I am this year. The research I did back in Winter on connector housings and terminals is paying off. Still got to my Mouser order in placed for stator(alternator) connectors and terminals.

Of course one tech call me at closing wanting to how to check a Briggs stator and he didn't know even to operate his meter. I wish he would quit as he messes things just about as bad and he's close by. I ask him to just bring it by but he afraid I find out who the customer is.

It seems like I hardily ever get those easy jobs and only those after someone else done screwed them up. You probably know the ones that takes 2x to 3x longer as you first undo the mistakes.

Kinda glad the carburetor work is taking a short break as I awaiting a new 10L UC as my Kendall 6L took dive after 1-1/2 years of daily use. I was hoping to just change the control board but they redesigned the board last year and I was inform it won't work in my older unit. The new UC should be here Friday I hope as I nearly needed it yesterday. Maybe I get a chance this weekend try to see what failed in it. I going need to hand trace the circuits no schematic available to me and that will take a lot longer.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: Kohler 12.5HP replacement

Postby apalmerjr » Wed May 17, 2017 6:28 pm

I keep running into snags with this engine replacement. After bolting it in and finding the right clutch bolt I find that the Cadet muffler hits on the fuel pump so I fashioned a block off plate for the pump and am just using gravity feed like the original. Then I noticed the voltage regular has a four terminal plug where the original just had two wires from the alternator to the regulator and one output wire. I still haven't figured that one out. If anyone has had experience with the charging system I'd appreciate your help. They didn't help much with color codes on the wires, they're black and white but maybe that says something. It appears that I'm going to have to connect some of the white wires coming from the stator for it to have continuity to the regulator.
apalmerjr

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 17, 2017 7:05 pm

With the removal the fuel pump either you'll need to add a vacuum operated pump or convert the carburetor over to gravity fed needle and seat. (12 521 03-S)

As for the voltage regulator the ipl shows it had the three regulator so if you would post the numbers off the regulator and we see if we can figure which it is. It may just have a charge indication terminal.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum