• Advertisement

Checking ball joints, tie rod ends?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Checking ball joints, tie rod ends?

Postby hanz63 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:06 pm

So you're doing rider maintenance. You don't want the thing to leave the shop, have the customer take a hard left and a steering rod is just worn enough where it snaps out of its socket. I've always been a bit puzzled on a proper way to check these for remaining life /wear. Me I've looked for excessive wear and either noted that steering items may be due next service or suggest repair at this time. I know that in what I do, I just can't be sure. Does everyone just do the wobble test or is there something more definitive?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Checking ball joints, tie rod ends?

Postby KE4AVB » Tue May 16, 2017 7:54 pm

At least it wasn't like me last year making a hard right at my pond. Needless to say straight into the pond. Well I was needing cooling off on that hot August day. :lol:

I just check excess play but sometimes thing just happen too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Tue May 16, 2017 9:32 pm

Had one a couple of weeks that said when they turning that they didn't slow down like they should have and hit a small tree root and broke it. Then I replaced it and it came back for the same thing same side but this time they was turning and hit the corner of the house he said he was in a hurry trying to beat the rain. So our shop replaced both.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed May 17, 2017 6:16 am

Might take a pair glasses to fix that one or cut off the beer supply especially he couldn't see a thing a big as a house. :lol:
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Wed May 17, 2017 6:31 am

Hit a hidden rock once while mowing weeds in a strange field using the landord's 8N. Broke off one of the front wheels. Because of the mower hanging off the back, I didn't even know the wheel was gone until I can around again on the next pass.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Fulltilt » Wed May 17, 2017 7:11 am

hanz63 wrote:So you're doing rider maintenance. You don't want the thing to leave the shop, have the customer take a hard left and a steering rod is just worn enough where it snaps out of its socket. I've always been a bit puzzled on a proper way to check these for remaining life /wear. Me I've looked for excessive wear and either noted that steering items may be due next service or suggest repair at this time. I know that in what I do, I just can't be sure. Does everyone just do the wobble test or is there something more definitive?

I just check for excessive up and down movement. The " ball" of the joints are held in by the crimped socket rim. Not much you can do with them. I usually lube them up with some PJ1 motorcycle chain lube, it sprays thru a tube water thin, but then thickens up into a viscous grease. Good for all kinds of lubricating jobs.
You also want to grease/lube up the steering shaft and sector gears and bushing while your'e at it, right?

Sorry, no stupid story. However, there was this time...
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby hanz63 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks guys. I appreciate the posts.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Thu May 18, 2017 10:04 am

hanz63 wrote:Thanks guys. I appreciate the posts.

Hey, no problem...that's what us " techs " do, right?
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby Luffydog » Thu May 18, 2017 11:05 pm

He said wet grass made him kinda slide into it with a little speed. Had one to break the whole front left off a zero turn about 2 months ago by hitting and curb. I guess if you mow yards for a living time is money I know. But he would make more by slowing down and not break his unit.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 19, 2017 3:00 am

Must be like when it first showers after a long dry period where there is a rash to fender benders when the operators forget that they must slow down when things are wet. Besides when this happens the oils haven't wash away yet so it is even more slippery.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum