• Advertisement

Kohler 12HP replacement

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Kohler 12HP replacement

Postby apalmerjr » Wed May 17, 2017 7:34 pm

The regulator appears to be the same as the 12.5 hp, with the three terminals but it has wires coming from it that end in a 4 terminal plug. I think the center one has to be the 12v dc wire, just unsure about the rest of them. There are three wires coming from the rotor, one wire by itself and two bundled together plus a ground wire or two.
apalmerjr

Postby apalmerjr » Wed May 17, 2017 7:36 pm

If I knew for sure what tractor this engine came from I could probably find a wiring list and maybe figure it out.
apalmerjr

Postby apalmerjr » Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 pm

I don't think I had much choice about the fuel pump removal unless I wanted to find a John Deere muffler and try to adapt it to the Cadet body. Wonder if I could use the gravity feed carburetor that was on the 12.5 engine? It looks to be about the same thing, at least on the outside.
apalmerjr

Postby Fulltilt » Wed May 17, 2017 8:39 pm

A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 18, 2017 2:00 am

apalmerjr wrote:The regulator appears to be the same as the 12.5 hp, with the three terminals but it has wires coming from it that end in a 4 terminal plug. I think the center one has to be the 12v dc wire, just unsure about the rest of them. There are three wires coming from the rotor, one wire by itself and two bundled together plus a ground wire or two.

That third wire that is by itself going under the engine shroud is mostly likely your magneto (coil) kill wire. And on the regulator yes the center is DC out. The two bundle together is your stator AC output wires.
apalmerjr wrote:I don't think I had much choice about the fuel pump removal unless I wanted to find a John Deere muffler and try to adapt it to the Cadet body. Wonder if I could use the gravity feed carburetor that was on the 12.5 engine? It looks to be about the same thing, at least on the outside.

Not questioning why you removed the fuel pump as things on repowers do require doing things a little different as items as can be in the way.

The carburetor probably will connect up but it will be too lean as it is jetted for 12.5hp and not for 15hp. Still best in my opinion to either add a vacuum operated fuel pump or change out the float needle and seat. I would go with latter as it is the easiest done provided the fuel tank position provides good fuel flow. If I remember correctly the fuel tank is mounted in the operator control tower. The PN I quoted for the carburetor conversion does contain the carburetor repair kit too. With the engine being a 2000 it is probably advisable to clean and rebuild it anyway due to normal wear. The needle seat kit does contain the instructions and special tools needs to do the change, you provide the necessary hand tools.

The conversion to a vacuum fuel pump isn't hard either as you drill an appropriate size hole in the valve cover and install the pump impulse line in it. You would want a snug fit though. Just be carefully as to not damage the breather check valve in the cover. Also you want to do this off the engine as you will need to remove the metal filings. Can also install a 1/4" nipple as the attachment point.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 18, 2017 7:41 am

apalmerjr wrote:If I knew for sure what tractor this engine came from I could probably find a wiring list and maybe figure it out.

Unlike some mowers JDs wiring diagrams are hard to come by as many times you can only get them either through a dealer that is willing to provide you poor quality copy or you're willing to buy the service manual. I had to do this on the last JD mower that I repaired the wiring harness after someone got cutter happy.

It is sorta like the Stihl service manuals that Stihl keeps such a tight control over.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby apalmerjr » Thu May 18, 2017 8:14 am

Getting back to that bolt, I found out that the bolt I replaced on the crankshaft was a 10mm on the 12.5 which was replaced by a 7/16 on the 15HP, kinda odd I thought.
apalmerjr

Postby Fulltilt » Thu May 18, 2017 9:59 am

apalmerjr wrote:If I knew for sure what tractor this engine came from I could probably find a wiring list and maybe figure it out.

Look, you don't need the old tractor wiring diagram.

All you need is the Kohler engine wiring diagram, which is in the service manuals I linked you to.

It may help you to get a Cub Cadet wiring diagram, as the harness plugs may not match up and may need a little modification. Should be avail on their website, either in the owners manual, or more likely in the parts listing.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu May 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Fulltilt wrote:It may help you to get a Cub Cadet wiring diagram, as the harness plugs may not match up and may need a little modification. Should be avail on their website, either in the owners manual, or more likely in the parts listing.

MISINFORMATION as to where to find the schematics. Fulltilt you should do your homework instead of just guessing.

Not available in either one. Would be in the service manual for 1330 but would need to contact Cub Cadet as to which one. The manuals I have access to skips the 1330 going from 1320 to 1340.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby apalmerjr » Thu May 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Today I went out and took the top cover off the engine, located the kill wire and labeled it, checked the two wires from the charging coils to the regulator and removed all the excess ones. Now I have the same three wire system the other one had plus a ground wire. The fuel line has been run to the carburetor. Just have to hook up the kill wire, not hard as I had already modified the kill to a simple on off switch. This cadet has several wires in the instrument panel unhooked and wrapped around each other so I'm just going to leave them that way, noticed also the the ammeter is unhooked. Doesn't matter much since when I get done mowing I always hook the battery to a float charger anyway.
apalmerjr

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum