• Advertisement

Too much Oil - But I survived

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Too much Oil - But I survived

Postby lefty » Sun May 21, 2017 10:49 am

KE4AVB wrote: It can be a simple case of just overfilling which in case then the operator needs to show the correct level to check for.

The owner said that he had a "kid" work on the machine to fix a recoil starter issue last year and he thinks he may have done the oil as well. When inspecting this machine, I noticed parts were not put together correctly. I think this is a case of overfilling and would definitely want to know what the problem is at this point rather than just replace parts.

Fulltilt wrote:The flooding, the oil...
Just get a needle /seat and install it, problem solved!

I've been trying to be cognizant of what I'm doing, for instance, I try not to do two or more things to solve a problem because then I don't really know what the problem was. I like to know about these tests that KE4 suggested.

Arkie wrote:I also add a fuel cutoff valve whenever equipment (fuel feed layout) allows use of such.

Thanks Arkie. I did do that. The owner needs the machine for tomorrow to do some cutting at his rental property. I'm having the air filter shipped to him directly for tomorrow. Sent him home with a quart of oil, a measuring cup and the proper capacity. He's going to change the oil and install the new air filter. I wrote him specific instructions for the process. He's pretty handy anyway. I told him to shut the fuel off before shutting the machine down whenever he operates it. I also told him to bring it back to me as soon as he's done so I can get my hands on the carb to test/repair if necessary.

KE4AVB wrote:Yes lessons like this seems to one that all us must learn the hard way sometimes. Better safe then sorry later.

Indeed. I sure learned mine. I'm on the wrong side of 45 so I've earned the right to say this...but it was a riot. Once I was extinguished, we laughed harder than ever. Yes, it was serious but everyone is ok. Besides, not all of my friends can say they were on fire once.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 21, 2017 11:37 am

lefty wrote:Indeed. I sure learned mine. I'm on the wrong side of 45 so I've earned the right to say this...but it was a riot. Once I was extinguished, we laughed harder than ever. Yes, it was serious but everyone is ok. Besides, not all of my friends can say they were on fire once.

Never too late to learn something new as long as you're willing. Heck I start learning, actually self teaching, ATV repair at 58.

I was waiting to load up a customer's ZTR a few weeks ago after repairing it when it died suddenly. Now I knew it was running okay the day before as I mowed good section with it so I took a look a the fuel level, None existed. When the customer was getting out of her truck I was laughing myself silly. She asked whats wrong. I said you may not believe it, it just ran out of gas and she started laughing too. It the day I haven't went to fuel station yet but the cans were on my truck and I was leaving right she had left.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun May 21, 2017 5:23 pm

That's so funny. I did a snow blower for a friend over the winter. It came in as a no start. Since the carb was so cheap, I put a new one on and it ran like a champ. A few days later my buddy called me and said it ran for a bit but then stalled and he couldn't get it started. After 10 minutes on the phone with him trying all sorts of things...choke, 1/2 choke, throttle, 1/2 throttle.... I said...is there gas in it?"....he said..."oops...no". Put gas in it fired right up.

We had a good laugh. Especially since he's an automotive mechanic!
lefty
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum