• Advertisement

White Outdoors lawnmower question...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

White Outdoors lawnmower question...

Postby dart451 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:31 am

I'm working on a White Outdoors walk behind mower, 11A-54MB090 ser.1A266K31071. I cannot find any info on the engine! It's a OHV but has no markings except for JT-05-05-03 on the cylinder head. I have no idea what engine this is... Anyway, the mower starts easy but races...I have to hold the governor bar down so it slows down. Customer states that it was serviced at a place called the Sharpening Center, (very, very bad reputation!) and it raced after it's visit there. I loosened the governor arm nut thinking that someone screwed with the governor adjustment but I can't seem to move it either way! The linkage and springs appear to be in good shape. Not sure where to go from here though!?
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: White Outdoors lawnmower question...

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 22, 2017 9:49 am

Its an MTD Powermore engine (Honda Clone) I Think they are built by Subaru (Simply based on some of their model designations like 5P70-SUB) Parts lookups for the engine are found within the MTD model parts lookup ( http://www.mtdparts.com/equipment/mtdparts/partfinder )

Sounds like they did not assemble the throttle linkage correctly or did not pop the linkage in to the throttle on the carburetor correctly.

If you have serviced Honda GCV-160 engines, then you'll already be fairly familiar with the basic layout of the engine
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dart451 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:29 am

Thank you bg! So, you don't think it's a governor issue? The throttle is fixed...no adjustment. I have a picture that you can look at. Seems the linkages are correct...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 22, 2017 11:07 am

Yep thats a powermore. does the throttle itself open and close smoothly and easily when operating by hand? the link does not look like it is fully seated in the throttle lever in that picture. you should be able to work the governor link to move the throttle closed and it will open up by itself.

if the throttle wont close then the governor link is not fully inserted into the throttle lever on the carburetor. - that or the throttle plate is shifted out of place.

If everything operates smoothly it very well could be the governor gear is blown apart especially if they "adjusted" the governor arm on the shaft. and you'd have to tear down the engine to replace governor gear inside
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dart451 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:07 pm

Ok, the throttle linkage is fully inserted and it moves freely. And, I can move the throttle all the way closed however, it takes a great deal of effort! I cannot move the governor linkage and close the throttle, only the throttle lever and it might be tweaking the governor lever. I even unhooked the bottom spring and it's still just as hard to close the throttle...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 22, 2017 1:16 pm

Sounds like its time to pull the carb and take a closer look at what's up - carb throttle should flop freely with no effort might have a corroded shaft or as noted damaged or bent shaft or throttle plate
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dart451 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:39 pm

BG, I've pulled the carburetor and cleaned it very well...no issues with carburetor but I will pull it again and check for sure...nothing was binding at all.
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:46 pm

BG, I pulled disconnected the linkages and the carb throttle moves freely. It's the governor arm that's not moving freely! I loosened the governor arm nut and walla! Free travel again! I was able to re-tighten the nut and it's still free. For the life of me, I couldn't see what was binding!? At least that problem is fixed. I cannot start it now because I found the source of the vibration. The blade adapter is messed up pretty bad so the blade won't square on the shaft which I'm sure has caused all the vibration! So, I wait for an adapter that I don't seem to have in stock of course!
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Tue May 23, 2017 5:29 am

Governor damage from the wreck?
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby dart451 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 am

bobodu wrote:Governor damage from the wreck?

Could be...but the linkage is very free now...I'll just have to wait till I get the blade adapter to see if there is any improvement. By the way, what happens inside if the governor mechanism fails? Parts floating around?
dart451
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum