• Advertisement

Hard starting Cub Cadet 221 LHP

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Hard starting Cub Cadet 221 LHP

Postby ms031317 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 am

I have a Cub Cadet 221 LHP with the 208cc engine. It is on its 3rd winter of ownership. It was working great up until this last snow fall. It had started fine and I had almost completed my driveway when it stalled out under a small load. I tried to pull start it with no luck, then I tried the electric start and it was hard starting. It appeared to run normally, once it started but then running it through the 2 inches of snow for 5 minutes, it stalled out again with the same hard start problem. it was also stalling out when under lite load. I checked for spark at the plug and it has good spark. Checked the primer bulb and pumped it about 5 times and rechecked the plug with fuel at the plug. I then replaced the spark plug with a new plug and it is still hard starting. I checked all hoses to the carb and the primer bulb are good. I then pulled the carb and checked inside the bowl, it looked clean (no varnish deposits), OK then I took the main jet and emulsion tube out and they looked ok, no visable signs of clogged ports. Since I had it apart, I sprayed out the carb and main jet and emulsion tube with carb cleaner and as a precaution I ran my tip cleaner file through all the small ports just to be on the safe side. Then I blew out all parts with compressed air. Reinstalled carb and put fresh gas in the tank. I always use stabilizer in my gas also. Then tried to start engine, same problem, hard starting. Forget about using the pull start. It will only start with electric start and even then it's hard to start. I can't really put blame on the governor because the motor runs smoothly once it does start and the spring and tension to the governor are fine. We haven't had snow for me to test out the stalling under load problem but I'm willing to bet that it's still going to stall. Any suggestions on what else I can do? :(
ms031317

Advertisement

Re: Hard starting Cub Cadet 221 LHP

Postby stienut13 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:02 am

Good morning,

Being as you can only start it with the electric start, have you checked to oil level to see if it is over-full? Does it smell like gas. Maybe carb is leaking gas into the sump. If so change oil, repair carb float and needle and install fuel shut-off in fuel line.
Hope this helps.
Happened on my Briggs 12 hp.
Jim
stienut13
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:20 am

check valve clearances. sounds like you may have a valve problem , might have to adjust them I believe you do have the powermore engine. , off the top of my head, if I recall correctly, intake , exhaust clearances should be .004-.006 and .005-.007 respectively..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby ms031317 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks Stienut13. Oil level is right at full. No gas smell in the oil or at priming. Thanks bgsengine. I don't think this is a valve problem because it runs too smooth and no exhaust backfire once I get it started or even during starting. The Cub Cadet 208cc engine is made in China, from what I've heard. I can't say I've ever heard it called a Powermore. :cry:
ms031317

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:10 pm

Powermore is MTD's brand. Cub Cadet is just an MTD in "babychit yellow" can buy the same exact thing in your local hardware or Wal-Mart store for less.

Hard starting can be caused by too much valve clearance which would be more common for these OHV engines.

Won't be a backfire in that case.

Also Hard starting can be caused by a burned exhaust valve, there won't be a backfire then either. Backfire in the exhaust is caused by *unburned fuel* that burns off in the muffler. It could be running fine and still have a burned exhaust valve, or excessive valve clearance.

Leakdown test would find exhaust valve leak, but won't tell anything about valve clearance, and these OHV's , checking valve clearance is a *maintenance item*
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby StarTech » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:48 pm

The engine is a MTD 752Z370-JUA. The 221LHP parts look-up model number is 31AM2T6D710.
StarTech

Postby ms031317 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:21 pm

I round up taking it to the Cub Cadet Dealer after checking compression which was good. It turned out to be a bad coil. Just wanted to update my post for anyone with similar symptoms. :D
ms031317

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:50 pm

Tnx for updating us with the solution.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum