• Advertisement

AM MTD Spindles

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: AM MTD Spindles

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:13 am

Heard of them; not seen them personally. Endusers are having problems with them coming off unexpectedly and losing parts or that is the complaints over on the AnswerArmy site.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:14 am

While I researching prices on the Cub spindle here I ran across this Oregon spindle image. Take a gook look at how they have weaken the stars.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:06 pm

Well, I've been working on lawnmowers for quite a long time, dare I say longer than a lot of people hereabouts, and I have yet to see a sheared spindle " star". Never.
Ran into lots of cases where the dummy owner didn't fully seat the blade, with the resulting mushrooming...but never a sheared drive star.
Personally, I got no use for a torque wrench on mower blades, what for? That's what I have my trusty I/R 3/8" air impact and trick Snap-On sockets for. Works on homeowner riders as well as commercial ZTRs.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Fulltilt wrote:Well, I've been working on lawnmowers for quite a long time, dare I say longer than a lot of people hereabouts, and I have yet to see a sheared spindle " star". Never.
Ran into lots of cases where the dummy owner didn't fully seat the blade, with the resulting mushrooming...but never a sheared drive star.
Personally, I got no use for a torque wrench on mower blades, what for? That's what I have my trusty I/R 3/8" air impact and trick Snap-On sockets for. Works on homeowner riders as well as commercial ZTRs.

Remind me never to hire you or anyone that agrees with you.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:08 pm

bgsengine wrote:
Fulltilt wrote:Well, I've been working on lawnmowers for quite a long time, dare I say longer than a lot of people hereabouts, and I have yet to see a sheared spindle " star". Never.

:lol: Now you made my day BGS. You know you would hire them in a New York minute. ;) Its been a long hot muggy one today. Glad it Saturday it least I can rest tomorrow.

I had redo two spindles for rush jobs. Both I had change out 3 pointers. Had the MTD 6 pointers in stock. one 5.7 and one 6.11 shafts.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:55 pm

bgsengine wrote:

NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:30 pm

Finally had some time to take a snap shoot of the H pattern on the 3 point so those that interested can see how the blade fits. The third image is the H patten blade on a normal 6 point.
ImageImageImage
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:28 pm

I'm assuming the 3 point spindle is like 6 point with 3 points missing. my Oregon aftermarket mtd blades just arrived and they are the 6 point like the oem mtd.
with respect to the stars shearing what about mowers with blades held only by torque. i just fixed spindle on a friend's wide body Murray and blade has a round hole fitting around a washer splined to the shaft but not to blade. then big washers and nut torqueing blade against the adapter. Or did I miss something?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:19 pm

Not that I am aware of. Those washers if I remember correctly are Belleville washers which produces a high clamping pressure when torqued to spec. I haven't seen a Murray in a good while around here.

You will also find some JDs, Tuff Tigers, and few others that uses the high clamping to prevent blade slippage with round holes. JD is gradually switching over to a 7 point star (lobe) setup.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:26 pm

The Jd's with the hole and the two 15mm head and very famous for rounding off. Those I hate never fails to not have at least one or two to round off. I always replace all of them when removed. Work all 7 here trying to get caught up.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum