• Advertisement

AM MTD Spindles

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: AM MTD Spindles

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:47 am

When it comes to JDs in my area the biggest problem I am having with the JDs is that there are several different style spindles on the same deck making rebuilding the spindles a pain. If you need to replace spindle shaft is when problem comes in. This all comes in because JD solution is simply selling a will fit spindle when customer need a spindle repaired. An example of this was the X300 I work on earlier. It had two different spindles so part lookup was a pain and finally end installing two new spindle and they were of a third design. At least they made the deck cut level again.

Currently I got a '95 Comm 54" walk behind they are subbing the spindle on and even the sub is on backorder.

Now back to the MTD spindles, the problem I having is one of frustration as no one is on the same page about matching up parts and the AM parts are not helping when it comes to repairs and the stocking of parts.There is at least three blade designs and now at least three different spindle designs. All this is making my job even more of nightmare to straighten out makeshift repairs. What I was trying to do was to standardize my parts inventory with high quality parts. Now I got to go back to substandard OEM blades. By substandard I mean blades that wear out quicker. Those heat treated blades were lasting up to twice as long and didn't bend as easily on impacts due to being slightly thicker.

As I go back I will check out the Oregon blades. I will start to having a 7-10 day delay on getting blades until I can find a new standard that I can stock up on.

At least the AYP/Husqvarna design don't lend itself to this problem with the use of the 5 point star.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:29 am

bgsengine wrote:Remind me never to hire you or anyone that agrees with you.

Remind me to never purchase anything from your Fleabay listings/store...

Wait a minute...you just did.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby Luffydog » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:50 am

Yes I have seen that too as well. I think they go by the serial break numbers. Had that prob to as well
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:32 am

Just got off the phone with my vendor's tech support. They will be changing to 6 Star from the H pattern but it be up to a year before anything is done; meanwhile, I will need to be ordering MTD blades. OUCH. Tech support seems to think that the new blades will be coming from MTD themselves.

I did check on the 23-1/2" blade I just ran out of and Oregon only had them in the Y pattern that they have.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Your Oregon distributor doesn't stock the stars? Will they do a physical check? I don't recall what the OEM blade number that you were trying to match. Say a 42 which was 98-059 is now a 198-059 , which mine have the star. My MTD distributor has a decent enough price on blades and other so that they are close enough to the Oregon, but I bought a bunch on preseason. As far as aftermarket blades, OEP gets my vote.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:00 am

trying to picture these working on a 3 star spindle
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-lawnmower-leaf-b ... ail_alerts
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:00 pm

I have a dumb question on balancing these H type blades. Is there an adapter or?? I know years back Oregon punched a rectangular hole in their walk behind MTD blades and you couldn't do a thing with them. I wrote them and they said to use a regular balancer. Well what locates the blade on the balancer I asked. A bit of a disconnect I'd say. I don't mind aftermarket blades. Some are better than others. But blades and spindles that keep you from using the right parts kind of send me over the edge.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:38 am

hanz63 wrote:I have a dumb question on balancing these H type blades. Is there an adapter or?? I know years back Oregon punched a rectangular hole in their walk behind MTD blades and you couldn't do a thing with them. I wrote them and they said to use a regular balancer. Well what locates the blade on the balancer I asked. A bit of a disconnect I'd say. I don't mind aftermarket blades. Some are better than others. But blades and spindles that keep you from using the right parts kind of send me over the edge.

I've used one of these for like 20 years :http://magna-matic.com/mag-1000.html
Never ran into a blade that it wouldn't work on.
I see the company has hole adapters avail., but I've never needed them...yet.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:39 am

Personally I use one those el cheapo level type balance with my own made adapters which definitely needed with it especially that "H" pattern hole pattern. I used old MTD spindle shaft cut and drilled it to fit my balancer. Even some simple round holes don't fit very well on it balancer but there are so few that I do can't justify spending $200+ for the Magna-Matic balancer or even the $169 for the blemished unit.

Most blades that do come in for sharping are so worn out they are simply unsafe to allow continue use.

Now those plastic adapters are $10 each from Magna plus shipping so it is up to you for your operation if they are a worth while investment but adapters will make lining up the blades on any balancer much easier.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:01 pm

I'd buy them if I could get a set for 10$. I rarely get hit with these blades anymore, but on the other hand I do like selling blades.
hanz63
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum