• Advertisement

Removing PTO Clutch

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Removing PTO Clutch

Postby dunoon2 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:46 pm

I have a friend that needs to remove the PTO clutch on a JD GT245 with a KAW engine. I've ran into this problem before and was never able to get the clutch off. Luckily what I needed to do I was able to work around it. I've never had a problem with any other machine but John Deere, most of the time the clutch falls off if you aren't careful. Anyway does anyone have any tricks to remove the clutch without destroying it?
Thanks guys you always come thru for me.

Rich Davis
3-M's, Mobile Mower Maintenance Service
dunoon2
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Removing PTO Clutch

Postby Luffydog » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Had one about 3wks ago in bad shape like yours if not worse. Spray a good lube and be patient. Give it a few wiggles then some more lube. Might have to tap lightly with hammer. I had to get me a small chisel and tap down on the clutch just enough to get the lube to work and do its magic. Guessing the couple on taps made the clutch move just a bit to allow the lube to pass down the crank. After a couple of days got back under and pulled it off by hand. I know yours might be worse case but in my case patience was the key.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Re: Removing PTO Clutch

Postby hanz63 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:47 pm

Yes, a good penetrating oil like Kroil plus time. The MTD trick was to loosen the bolt and run the thing.You can focus on tapping the inner bearing from below. Or the condom trick where you estimate how much volume you have below the shaft, crank shaft that is, and add Kroil to the point that you can zip the bolt up with the washer, burst the condom and in theory help push some lube up through the inner bearing / shaft mating area. Should your accountant wonder why you are writing off a box of condoms, just print this and put it with it. Your welcome.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum