• Advertisement

trimmer won't idle

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

trimmer won't idle

Postby 38racing » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:06 pm

I have weedeater xt600. been using for a few years. this spring it wouldn't prime so I put a carb kit in it. was running fine last week when it ran out of string. I just added string and fresh fuel but now it won't idle. not quite max as trigger will increase it slightly. i backed idle speed screw right off the lever and throttle plate looks to be fully shut. still runs fast.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: trimmer won't idle

Postby bgsengine » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:35 pm

wont idle as in it wont slow down enough to disengage the clutch ? I'd be checking the actual RPMs - maybe clutch spring failed.

Otherwise if it is *obviously* fast , then you likely have a leaking check valve in the low speed circuit , or over-pressurization of the fuel system forcing fuel through idle circuit.. Or possibly you have a crankcase air leak (gasket or crank seal)... really should start with a good tep by step diagnostic.. tachometer, carb pressure test (better yet, pressure/vacuum test) fuel lines and filter, tank vent test, check for any loosened-up bolts (jug bolts tend to work loose on some models)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:41 am

No clutch, Straight drive.

Along with what BGS said check the intake mounting adapter screws and gasket. Also make sure you didn't lose the low speed mixture screw completely out the carburetor.

Note: There are 6 type versions of this trimmer. In case you don't know the last digit of the serial number is your type number. Example serial XXXXXXXXXXXX-2.

There was the WT-226 and WT-631; either was used.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:32 am

KE4AVB wrote:No clutch, Straight drive.

Along with what BGS said check the intake mounting adapter screws and gasket. Also make sure you didn't lose the low speed mixture screw completely out the carburetor.

Note: There are 6 type versions of this trimmer. In case you don't know the last digit of the serial number is your type number. Example serial XXXXXXXXXXXX-2.

There was the WT-226 and WT-631; either was used.

it has a single adjustment screw and it's still there. my recollection is that it has wa226 on it but I will check . in fact when I checked the adjustment screw I was surprised at how many turns it was out. putting back to initial 1 1/2 as starting point didn't get it running properly..
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:28 am

38racing wrote:it has a single adjustment screw and it's still there. my recollection is that it has wa226 on it but I will check . in fact when I checked the adjustment screw I was surprised at how many turns it was out. putting back to initial 1 1/2 as starting point didn't get it running properly..

Sounds very unusual for this setup. The only times I see multiple turns out pass the initial setting is on airheads carbs and that is usually on the H mixture. I would says you have an air leak somewhere.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:29 pm

I thought I add a note here as I ran into a Homelite trimmer today that would not slow down at all at idle by the idle speed screw; only slowed to about 50% of full throttle. I found the throttle vane had too much air bleed. I soldered up one of the holes and the trimmer slowed to a point that I am now able to adjust the idle speed. Still could stand for the other hole to closed up some but I leaving where it is at currently.

Just something I seen today here.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:07 am

KE4AVB wrote:I thought I add a note here as I ran into a Homelite trimmer today that would not slow down at all at idle by the idle speed screw; only slowed to about 50% of full throttle. I found the throttle vane had too much air bleed. I soldered up one of the holes and the trimmer slowed to a point that I am now able to adjust the idle speed. Still could stand for the other hole to closed up some but I leaving where it is at currently.

Just something I seen today here.

did it ever run right? Mine had been fine. going to order all the gaskets and then start checking it.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:17 am

38racing wrote:did it ever run right? Mine had been fine. going to order all the gaskets and then start checking it.

That I can't answer. The trimmer was given to me last year as a donation to my shop for parts. The customer no longer needed it and it had jury rigged to run at full throttle.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:36 pm

Parts came in. Tonight I looked at trimmer and remembered it was wasn't running right and actually forgot it was the speed issue (old brain). I opened carb and found a bit of debris in screen. Flushed it out and pressing on metering diaphragm had fuel pass so I put back together and of course it idled fast and my memory came back. So I then found one cylinder bolt not tight so I tightened it , changed the the crankcase gasket and the carb to spacer gasket . Too late tonight to be firing up weed trimmers so hopefully will get it running tomorrow.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:15 pm

so this afternoon it starts up and I can tune the carb for low/high speed running. Trimmed for 5-10 minutes and stalled it with grass around the head. Then I couldn't restart, even on carb cleaner. Pulled plug and it was dry. Then got invited out for supper.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum