• Advertisement

No fire poulan chainsaw

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: No fire poulan chainsaw

Postby okie » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:53 pm

Speaking of acronyms

The only one I know is BLT (bacon,lettuce, and tomato sandwich) which reminds me I am hungry. :o
Gone to the refrig.

okie :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby rogerf » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:28 pm

Thanks all,

Now clear :D

Roger.
rogerf
Guide

Postby 38racing » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:33 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Btw you might want to download the SM that covers this Poulan saw from the Husqvarna directory in the download forum. It doesn't list list this model but all the 42cc Poulans are basically the same saw with only cosmetic differences like a different carburetor or just a different style case color.

got another one of these to check and likely chuck . I don't see the husqvarna director you mention. going to look again though.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:56 am

If compression is low again as before on the other Poyulan make sure your compression gauge is capable of reading correct on a Chainsaw. (small cc engines) Some compression gauges, automotive types won't read correct when testing a chainsaw..
If same symptoms as the other one, install a good spark plug and on a used saw I always pull the muffler and take a look at the piston area because I've seen saws that appeared real good saws and could see severe scoring of the piston and cylinder indicating the saw is going to have a short life and no need in throwing good money for other things after bad.
If it has fire and not giving a promise to start pop you can give it a primer mixed gas/oil thru the muffler port hole.

I've seen some chainsaws start and run good with 80 psi IF ALL ELSE IS CORRECT.

If compression is low dump a little bit of oil thru the spark plug hole and re-test compression and if compression stays about low at below 100 after several cranks or about same and low suspect your compression gauge is incorrect, if compression comes up quite a bit with less pulls of the rope the rings, piston, cylinder wall is suspect.
Most generally on a good chainsaw cylinder compression will change very little if any with oil added to spark plug hole if rings/cylinder and compression release is ok. (seems strange but true when using a compression gauge that actually reads true on a chainsaw)

Here is a link to a chainsaw site you can get some second opinions and some Poulan lovers hang out here and sometimes you can even get some used parts donated or find used parts. Have to be careful when working on a Poulan, you can easily get more $$'s into one than they are worth or cost when new. Good to have a donor pile of Poulans around for parts so as can take maybe 3 or 4 and make one. (to use your term CHUCK pile of Poulans for salvage parts) :D

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/f ... hainsaw.9/

:popcorn:
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:10 am

38racing wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:Btw you might want to download the SM that covers this Poulan saw from the Husqvarna directory in the download forum. It doesn't list list this model but all the 42cc Poulans are basically the same saw with only cosmetic differences like a different carburetor or just a different style case color.

got another one of these to check and likely chuck . I don't see the husqvarna director you mention. going to look again though.

I took it off offline as I reworking the directory file list. I had some dups and some new files. I will add it back this morning.

Edit: I also found a few files that were read only no download flagged. This may be from my computer here crashed with a bad memory chip. I know I have a few inventory item file records here screwy.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:59 am

Arkie wrote:If compression is low again as before on the other Poyulan make sure your compression gauge is capable of reading correct on a Chainsaw. (small cc engines) Some compression gauges, automotive types won't read correct when testing a chainsaw..

It is usually because of too strong of a Schrader installed. Personally my Actron compression gauge set which is a auto type works very well. Just need make sure you are Schrader for compression testing and not for automobile tires

The amount of pulls can depend because length hose used too. I have seen testers that used short metal pipe instead a hose. These just won't work on all engines where a flexible works better due to plug placement.

The accuracy of these test gauges can be affected by where the Schrader valve is placed in the tester. It best if at the end of the hose at the cylinder as if otherwise as the cylinder pressurizes the hose it expands somewhat before it can open the Schrader valve hence lower readings.

Arkie wrote:I've seen some chainsaws start and run good with 80 psi IF ALL ELSE IS CORRECT.

This is something I have never seen here in my shop. It seems that I always have major problems if below 100 psi as most I can't even get to hit below this level. Maybe it is my compression gauge working accurately.

The newer Poulan are Husqvarna as Husqvarna now owns them. It the older Poulan-Beaird that are different from the Husqvarna chainsaws. You can add in the Red Max chainsaws now too. Also a lot of your Craftsman consumers end chainsaws are Poulan though a few of later models are Homelite.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:00 am

KE4AVB wrote:
Arkie wrote:If compression is low again as before on the other Poyulan make sure your compression gauge is capable of reading correct on a Chainsaw. (small cc engines) Some compression gauges, automotive types won't read correct when testing a chainsaw..

It is usually because of too strong of a Schrader installed. Personally my Actron compression gauge set which is a auto type works very well. Just need make sure you are Schrader for compression testing and not for automobile tires.
The amount of pulls can depend because length hose used too. I have seen testers that used short metal pipe instead a hose. These just won't work on all engines where a flexible works better due to plug placement.

The accuracy of these test gauges can be affected by where the Schrader valve is placed in the tester. It best if at the end of the hose at the cylinder as if otherwise as the cylinder pressurizes the hose it expands somewhat before it can open the Schrader valve hence lower readings.

Here is a Napa Balkamp Schrader valve part number that works good in the Actron and also good if making homemade compression gauges.
This part number is a box of 5, each valve in a sealed package that you can buy one at a time for about $2 each or the box of 5,

NAPA Balkamp 700-9556
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:16 am

Arkie, Hopefully I got your BBCode makeup right as it was a mess.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:46 am

KE4AVB wrote:Arkie, Hopefully I got your BBCode makeup right as it was a mess.

Sure was!

You had very good info tips about WHY several compression gauges will not read correctly on small CC engines.
I've seen several that were not aware that very easy for a compression gauge to not read accurate on a small 2 cycle engine.

Seen a auto mechanic awhile back install new piston and jug on his Stihl chainsaw thinking his compression was too low and his automotive compression gauge read lower with the new parts. I found he had a bad carb.

Thanks
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:58 pm

nothing further on the poulan. it was 1 of 4. there is a echo cs 3900 but with no pull starter it will hit the dumpster. another is dolmar ps341. it has spark and about 115 psi but won't fire on carb cleaner. last is the homelite 200. i actually got it running. it fired on carb cleaner so I added fuel and it idled and revd up too. a few days later I thought that I would try cutting with it. starter cord brike at handle lol.
38racing
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum