• Advertisement

good to the last drop. coffee maybe not gas

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

good to the last drop. coffee maybe not gas

Postby 38racing » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:11 pm

had a Murphy evening. restoring a mtd rider. rear tire was going soft and found inner sidewall crack. generous slime and left sitting to hit the spot seemed to workk. cut front lawn. next day the back. then went along the road but the side pressure goung along the drain area resulted in a flat. getting dark. towrd it back. jumped on another rider i had just moved but remembered it was outt of fuel. filled it with what was left in 20 litre jug. never made it to the grass. got it running on carb cleaner after checking filter and pump. it stayed running. then I made it to the grass and died again. towed it back. decided to drain gas and immediately saw off colour blobs floating around. next day I drained completely and filled from full container and finished. and I haven't bought gas with ethanol in it for long time. maybe need to make sure jugs kept out of rain.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: good to the last drop. coffee maybe not gas

Postby Fulltilt » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:23 am

38racing wrote:had a Murphy evening. restoring a mtd rider. rear tire was going soft and found inner sidewall crack. generous slime and left sitting to hit the spot seemed to workk. cut front lawn. next day the back. then went along the road but the side pressure goung along the drain area resulted in a flat. getting dark. towrd it back. jumped on another rider i had just moved but remembered it was outt of fuel. filled it with what was left in 20 litre jug. never made it to the grass. got it running on carb cleaner after checking filter and pump. it stayed running. then I made it to the grass and died again. towed it back. decided to drain gas and immediately saw off colour blobs floating around. next day I drained completely and filled from full container and finished. and I haven't bought gas with ethanol in it for long time. maybe need to make sure jugs kept out of rain.

You think?
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:53 am

Fulltilt wrote:
38racing wrote:had a Murphy evening. restoring a mtd rider. rear tire was going soft and found inner sidewall crack. generous slime and left sitting to hit the spot seemed to workk. cut front lawn. next day the back. then went along the road but the side pressure goung along the drain area resulted in a flat. getting dark. towrd it back. jumped on another rider i had just moved but remembered it was outt of fuel. filled it with what was left in 20 litre jug. never made it to the grass. got it running on carb cleaner after checking filter and pump. it stayed running. then I made it to the grass and died again. towed it back. decided to drain gas and immediately saw off colour blobs floating around. next day I drained completely and filled from full container and finished. and I haven't bought gas with ethanol in it for long time. maybe need to make sure jugs kept out of rain.

You think?

How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:30 am

Cleaned up a mess of that slime that look to have a fibers added from TB Mustang ZTR rear wheel. The customer had put the stuff in trying to fix a tire leak down. It would only hold part of the time and other times leaked like it wasn't even there other than leaking green slime out.

As I said had a mess to clean out the tire and wheel so I could install a inner tube to fix the problem. That fiber stuff looked like grass clipping so it probably was plastic. Personally I don't use the slime or tire plugs neither seems work permanently. The tire plugs usually start leaking after some wear as they never get hot enough to cure properly. As for the slime it doesn't work very well at sealing sidewalls either.

As the fuel containers sitting out in the rain I don't have problem with that but mine are tightly sealed too. Probably why I don't see problems out the ethanol fuel I use here, plus I don't want stray fuel vapors around the cutting torch or filling the shop as the compressor's motor brushes has nice arcs while running.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:17 am

I have assumed that mine are sealed too but since they will be stored outside I will have to cover them.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:47 am

Quit buy them litre things...
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi 38

My fuel can collection consists of 8 cans as follows:

2 x 25 litre cans of Shell V-Power 91 octane gasoline
2 x 24 litre cans of Shell Bronze 87 octane gasoline
2 x 22 litre cans of Shell regular diesel (emergency rations for the VW Golf)
1 x 5 US gallon metal can of 100 octane low lead aviation gas for vintage equipment (motorcycles and chainsaws).

I have one 10 litre can of fuel in the shop that contains ½ & ½ 91 octane and 87 octane fuel giving 89 octane equivalent for general purpose fueling of customer equipment. All 2-cycle fuel is mixed with 91 octane only.

All fuel containers are stored in a separate outbuilding that has no windows and is kept locked. All fuel is stabilized immediately after purchase (stabilizer measured into cans before heading to gas station which is 13 miles away. Some people say I'm almost too fussy about how I handle and store my fuel, but I haven't had a fuel related problem in any of my equipment for 16+ years. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:37 pm

I'm planning on replacing my 20 litre cans with 10 litre ones. I'm finding the 20s just too heavy as I age . I've tried a couple of those pumping gadgets but they never lasted long.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum