• Advertisement

Fuel Boiling Hot

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Fuel Boiling Hot

Postby hanz63 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:55 pm

You will find your new thermometer very useful to compare bearing and pulley temps etc as well. One really could really use it to compare exhaust temps if he stayed organized enough to know how hot things should be running.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi KE4

I have one customer with a Sears lawn tractor that was having problems with the fuel boiling in the float bowl of the carburetor (B&S engine 331877 0805-E1 070208ZE). Hat air from the bottom of the cylinder was being blown directly onto the carburetor. Mitigated the problem by fashioning a new carburetor mounting gasket with a long skirt to deflect the engine cooling air away from the float bowl. The old JD 68 riding mowers came with factory installed heat insulating material wrapped around the fuel line and filter.

On the subject of boiling, sounds like some parts of the southwestern US are getting some dangerously hot weather. Take care everyone and don't get heat stroke.

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:41 am

Skywatcher wrote:Hi KE4

I have one customer with a Sears lawn tractor that was having problems with the fuel boiling in the float bowl of the carburetor (B&S engine 331877 0805-E1 070208ZE). Hat air from the bottom of the cylinder was being blown directly onto the carburetor. Mitigated the problem by fashioning a new carburetor mounting gasket with a long skirt to deflect the engine cooling air away from the float bowl. The old JD 68 riding mowers came with factory installed heat insulating material wrapped around the fuel line and filter.

On the subject of boiling, sounds like some parts of the southwestern US are getting some dangerously hot weather. Take care everyone and don't get heat stroke.

Sky

That is one of the problems that Courage suffers from in the first place which why they upgraded the fuel solenoid with heat shield. On the subject of JD I got a 345 on the lot now that has a large wire loom shielding the fuel line. So I will be trying the shielding idea. I also just repaired a JD LX176 that such a shirt as you described you made for the 331877 except it was on a Kawasaki FC420V. So I am getting ideas just paying closer attention was coming through the shop.

Weather wise here its just in low to mid 90's but it is the humidity that is rough. A lot cooler under the trees than in the house here. Its the folks and everything else that are having a rough time to the West with those extreme temps. Their humidity is lower but with those temps it doesn't matter. We would having a lot deaths if the temperatures and humidity both were there are the same time.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:48 am

Well I got in Cub doing the same thing. Engine is a Kohler SV590-0220. Temps at the fuel filter is 145F top side, 214F bottom close to the frame, temps measured are on the filter itself. Engine crankcase was 165F and the Muffler at 400F. Didn't think to check the cylinder head temp. So it must coming from the muffler so heating shielding appears to what is needed.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum