• Advertisement

10 years?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

10 years?

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:03 pm

Well today I had a customer bring in a Stihl 041AV chainsaw for repairs. That in it self is not unusual. What was is the story behind it. It had been in a local repair shop for ten years for repairs. I kinda that is excessive time to not even get it fixed. The longest I ever had a piece of equipment in my shop for repairs is six months and that was because I trying to source an obsolete Briggs rod but I kept the customer updated on the progress and him was willing to wait.

Now I got to wait a few days as I need a flywheel puller but should be in by Wednesday. This because I never need to this version of the Stihl's flywheel.

The question is would any of the fellow tech keep a customer chainsaw or other equipment for ten years and not even try to repair it?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: 10 years?

Postby hanz63 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:02 pm

I bet that it is an interesting story.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:31 pm

I had one sit here for 4 1/2 years ... It was originally a "juet get it running Im going to sell it" job that just needed a starter rope and spark plug. Sat it out waiting for customer to pick up - sat there 30 days, called them again no answer, sat another 30, tried calling, no response, sent them a certified letter explaining we are not responsible for what happens to the machine if it isnt picked up within 30 days and we'll charge $35 a month storage fee.. Sat for another 10 months .. gave up and pushed it out and parked it where it sat another 3 years.. then customer called wanting to know why it wasnt fixed yet... told him it had been and had been waiting for pickup ever since - he wanted it pulled back in and tuned up good, needed new carburetor now (just sitting in the elements without moving - condensation in carb) and new tires (dry rot) and ended up costing him $550 all told (never did collect on the $350 in storage fees while it sat protected from the elements in the shop) and he finally sold it to a buddy of his for $400.. Soooo glad to see that thing gone, and I am quite sure he's told everyone we kept it for 4 years and never fixed it..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:09 am

I too think there is a fib behind that story. I get a lot lies told to me here. It has been a lot worse here than before I moved. Good thing I am not holding my breathe waiting for those 5 ZTRs that was supposedly coming in early May. Now I can kinda believe the customer's story though as I have seen some the aftermath of the shop's work here in my shop, not as bad a couple others in the area and that is saying a lot. I had undo what they did just to get the real problem. Boy I hate having to repair another tech's screw-ups; takes at least twice as long if not longer.

As for my policy once a repair is billed it is to be pickup within 30 days or it is subject to sell to recover the repair bill and storage fees. I only had a few customers since I started not to pay the repair bills. Two which I seized the equipment. Then one was a commercial lawn care guy and last one was taken to Small Claims, both of which mistaken deliver their without getting payment upfront. Of course I had that customer that sent his son to pickup his mower without paying. The son actually tried taking the mower without paying after hours, I just happen to be home at the time and hear him crank it up. I made him leave it until I received payment.

That Stihl is the first chainsaw that I have ever seen with the fuel tank part of the recoil assembly. The operator said there was something that lockup the recoil but it currently turning so I need to pull the flywheel and check the internal magnets which why had to order the puller or it could have been straight gassed; won't know until I start working on it.

Should had already gotten the puller in just but was waiting until I actually had a need for it. Tools here are one of my biggest overhead items; not looking forward to having to buy another 44" or larger set of tool boxes as I just one set late last year.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:43 am

speaking of customer stories. I just fix stuff for friends and neighbours. a neighbour called about fixing no start on a mower. she was told it needed solenoid. I offered to go Fri morning but that was not good for her. agreed to Saturday morning. I get a voicemail Friday night. she says that she was bending the ear of a friend about her mower problems and during it she tried the mower and it miraculously started so no need to go over. Saturday a guy comes to my place asking if I have any old mowers for sale. I actually know his brother. during the conversation he tells me that he fixed a couple mowers for my neighbour on Friday. don't know why she didn't just tell me that.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Not wanting you know because it might make you mad and won't do anything else for her; besides he might look better doing the work. ;) Forgive me, I couldn't resist.

I got a local guy that started working on mowers and was trying to use me as free tech support. Called one day wanting how to troubleshoot an electrical problem said him didn't even know how to operate his meter. I ask him to refer the customer to me and I would get it straighten out. No more calls.

Sorry I can't help someone to take all my business away locally, within a mile of me. Done seen some of his screw ups like the spindle shafts that he used a cutting torch on to cut the nuts off and wanted me to rethread them.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:42 pm

KE4AVB wrote:..... besides he might look better doing the work. ;) Forgive me, I couldn't resist......

Actually he was even scruffier than me but maybe she's into scruffy lol.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:45 pm

I got a couple hours of no rain so I move things out to get to the work bench. The Stihl's carburetor is missing half the gaskets and is dirty; sure hope they did use any carburetor cleaner on it. With the it in the current config it bound to have been flooding. Recoil's grip hub in the flywheel worn out. Fuel line setup is screwed as they try install Oregon version of Tygon lines and they actually busted the grommet part of the old fuel line. Still won't be able to try to start until I can check internal flywheel magnets. Tool schedule to be here Wednesday.

Still can't believe a shop would get a machine into this condition.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum