• Advertisement

John Deere 111 Flooding

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

John Deere 111 Flooding

Postby lefty » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Briggs 253707 0155-01
Code: 85020811

This has a briggs one piece flojet. Can't find numbers on the carb but it looks just like this one:

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_large_one-piece_flo-jet_carb.asp

It starts and runs fine but after about 10 seconds starts to spudder and stall. At which point, a huge amount of fuel pours out of the hole in the air intake that leads from the bowl vent passage. Shown as number 16, highlighted in white on the aforementioned website.

I cleaned everything but the main fuel nozel because I can't get it out. There's not enough meat on the slot unless I wreck it and replace it.

This has a fuel pump. I'm guessing my problem is needle / seat related as it runs well for 10 seconds before it starts spitting and spuddering.

This ran fine for a couple seasons after I replaced the fuel pump a couple years ago with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A13FHO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The original was rectangular and metal but had failed.

Usually, with gravity type fuel systems, I've had success solving leaking problems with a fuel shut off that I close just before shutting down. But not having experience, I was thinking that a fuel pump puts more possitive pressure on the needle allowing it to flood while running if the needle / seat are not perfect?
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: John Deere 111 Flooding

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:44 pm

lefty wrote:
This has a fuel pump. I'm guessing my problem is needle / seat related as it runs well for 10 seconds before it starts spitting and spuddering.
That would be an excellent guess. In fact that is almost certainly what the problem is.

This ran fine for a couple seasons after I replaced the fuel pump a couple years ago with this:
The original was rectangular and metal but had failed.
Yes the old style walbro rectangular pump is superseded by the round pancake one.

Usually, with gravity type fuel systems, I've had success solving leaking problems with a fuel shut off that I close just before shutting down. But not having experience, I was thinking that a fuel pump puts more possitive pressure on the needle allowing it to flood while running if the needle / seat are not perfect?
You are thinking correctly - your float needle and seat are not seating - might also be a bad float (cracked, corroded, etc)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks BG. So the kit also comes with that main nozzle. I'd like to replace that as the one in there is a mess. Any tips on removing the one that is marred?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:35 pm

IPL shows 394683 as the valve-needle -pump feed and my aftermarket shows this
https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewpr ... ?i=&p=9386
which has brass seat with needle but ipl does not show a replaceable seat. ??.
My AM shows this for the gravity feed for 394381 on your IPL.
https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewpr ... ?i=&p=1711
I assume the viton seat goes without saying with the steel tip needle so doesn't need to show on IPL.??
And then there is 394682 which is not on your IPL but as listed here appears to include your model.
https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewpr ... ?i=&p=3904

you tap the old brass seat. I use 1/4 nc. Then use a bushing over the seat with ID just larger. Washer over the bushing. Thread a nut onto a 1/4 bolt up to top. Thread bolt through washer and bushing into seat. Tighten the nut down onto washer and seat will pull out into bushing. I have had to flat side washer sometimes to get it in the space. I just did needle and seat on walbro for a 28 OHV and it still floods and I didn't even drive seat flush as per instructions since original was not flush. Even tried another float (albeit a used one) Right now I had another used carb so I cleaned seat with valve compound and put same needle and float into it. Last night it appeared to be holding . Will check if it ever stops raining here.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:34 pm

Or you can use a 6 flute 61 degree countersink and lightly polish the seat as I am thinking the needle tip is 61 degree. I don't think it is a 82 degree.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:36 pm

It's definitely not the brass type seat. I pulled it with a dental pic and it is a rubbery type seat. The needle does not have the rubbery tip on it. It's the strait metal type.

I'm actually looking for advice on removing the main nozzle, which is removed with a flat screw driver. The last person to screw with it chewed her up pretty good.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:18 pm

I had limited success drilling them out enough to get a screw extractor in to remove them if not too firmly fixed in place but I have broken off a couple extractors too. Sometime it gets a new carb as has been hit and miss with me.

The counter sink I mention is for the brass seats with viton tip needles so it won't work here.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:23 pm

lefty wrote:It's definitely not the brass type seat. I pulled it with a dental pic and it is a rubbery type seat. The needle does not have the rubbery tip on it. It's the strait metal type.

I'm actually looking for advice on removing the main nozzle, which is removed with a flat screw driver. The last person to screw with it chewed her up pretty good.

maybe that's why it's flooding as that seems to be the setup for gravity feed , not pump. i once put a pump carb onto a gravity feed and it kept running out of fuel . pump fed seats have a smaller hole.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 pm

38racing wrote:
lefty wrote:It's definitely not the brass type seat. I pulled it with a dental pic and it is a rubbery type seat. The needle does not have the rubbery tip on it. It's the strait metal type.

maybe that's why it's flooding as that seems to be the setup for gravity feed , not pump. i once put a pump carb onto a gravity feed and it kept running out of fuel . pump fed seats have a smaller hole.

I finally got a chance to look over the engine's ipl and the mower's setup. Lefty you definitely got a gravity fed system carb and since the JD 111 came with the fuel pump it looks like someone has swap out the carburetors not knowing that a gravity fed carburetor can not be used on a fuel pump setup. And the placement of the fuel tank you're going need to get a fuel pump version carburetor. As far as I know the old flojet can't be easily converted either between to two styles.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:12 pm

and question is did someone swap the carb or the engine. Carb for his model and type is 491026 and for a mere $1000 he can get a replacement.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Carburetor-for-B ... 2555146279
Guess I won't throw out that container of old flojets.
Actually someone just left a 10 hp yard pro at our church metal dumpster. However it was gravity feed.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum