• Advertisement

Bought the service manual but it's wrong!

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Bought the service manual but it's wrong!

Postby sblg43 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:57 pm

I picked up a 1984 John Deere 116. It's in good shape but needs a little TLC.

I bought a service manual (TM1206 May 85) that says it applies to 108, 111, 111H, 112L and 116 lawn tractors.

A vast majority of the 600+ pages are about the engines in each tractor. I don't need that so much because I have specific engine repair manuals for that stuff. It's cool though, because I like service manuals and having a little extra information is a good thing.

However,

As I look in the book to find out how to adjust the clutch, the procedure in the book, for a 116 (Not the 116H) doesn't work with my 116. The photos in the book show a different layout than my tractor.

I was able to figure it out on my own, but why did I buy the book if I can't use it? :(

What else might I find that's not going to jive with my tractor?
sblg43
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Bought the service manual but it's wrong!

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:49 am

sblg43 wrote:I picked up a 1984 John Deere 116. It's in good shape but needs a little TLC.

I bought a service manual (TM1206 May 85) that says it applies to 108, 111, 111H, 112L and 116 lawn tractors.

A vast majority of the 600+ pages are about the engines in each tractor. I don't need that so much because I have specific engine repair manuals for that stuff. It's cool though, because I like service manuals and having a little extra information is a good thing.

However,

As I look in the book to find out how to adjust the clutch, the procedure in the book, for a 116 (Not the 116H) doesn't work with my 116. The photos in the book show a different layout than my tractor.

I was able to figure it out on my own, but why did I buy the book if I can't use it? :(

What else might I find that's not going to jive with my tractor?

Manual may be older and your tractor may be a newer model year or perhaps they had a service bulletin to update the clutch to a newer better version or perhaps someone swapped out a clutch that should not be on a 116.. (or maybe someone swapped out a hood and you don't actually HAVE a 116 ? does your VIN number match the rest of the machine? check JD's online parts lookups? ) - in other words, the older a machine is, the more likely that something is not gonna "match up" to a manual of the same vintage.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:21 am

That's good point as when I looked at the IPL for 116 drive belt clutch is not really adjustable; just the Warner PTO Clutch. Be carefully though as there are 2 different drive belts, an 1/2 x 87 and an 1/2 x 88. Supposedly the serial break is at 28500 but I have seen this to off on some mowers. The short belt was use on the newer models
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:31 am

What on the serial number tag?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby sblg43 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:51 pm

According to the hood and the id tag - it is a 116 with a 46" deck.

But according to info found at tractordata.com, this unit was built in 1985. The service manual is from "May 95". So I think it's possible that changes were made in 1985 that didn't make it to the book.
sblg43
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum