• Advertisement

Hunt on start up

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Hunt on start up

Postby dennis » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:49 pm

I have a Honda mower with a Honda GJAE-1236297 engine. It was not running, so I removed and cleaned carburetor, removed and cleaned tank, put in new air filter, sparkplug, and fuel. I did use the same gaskets, as I could not find any in town. When I start it up, it will hunt (rev up and down) for almost a minute, then it will run smoothly at 3100rpm from then on. After it has warmed up, I can shut it down and when I start it back up, it does not hunt...runs smoothly....therefore, I do not want to mess with it. Is this normal for this engine? Any comments or suggestions?
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Hunt on start up

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:26 pm

It is fairly normal but probably just a "tad" on the lean side so you probably have just a tiny bit of something somewhere that cleaning did not clean out - You could probably resolve even that with the "mechanic in a bottle" fuel treatment (B3C's Mechanic in a bottle, or Gold Eagle / Sta-Bil START treatment)

It is also more apparent in colder weather, and some units may have an automatic choke that is out of adjustment But with the modern engines most all of them need a bit of warm-up time (3 minutes) for best performance out of the engines.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: Hunt on start up

Postby dennis » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:31 pm

Thanks, bgsengine.
dennis
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum