• Advertisement

Testing Mantis Tiller Coil

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Testing Mantis Tiller Coil

Postby OverKnight » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Thanks for the explanation; it makes sense. Doesn't help me very much if I need a coil, but from a business perspective, it's understandable why parts for a 20-year old machine are no longer available.
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Postby OverKnight » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:17 pm

Okay, getting nowhere fast...

I pulled the muffler off to check the screen, but there was no screen, so we can rule a clogged screen out. I was able to push on both rings and they moved easily, so I don't think the problem is there. I put my spark tester on, and couldn't see any spark at all. I put the new NGK BPM6A plug on (gap set to 0.025", and flywheel-coil clearance is 0.012"), and now there's a spark. I tried starting it, but it doesn't even pop. I took the flywheel shroud off and used a drill motor to turn the engine over quickly. I could hear it trying to run, but when I took the drill motor away, it immediately died. I looked at the plug again, but now it doesn't look like it's getting gas. Off comes the carburetor, and I do a quicky cleaning (disassemble, spray carburetor cleaner into everything, reassemble). When a press the primer bulb, nothing is going into the carburetor, and the primer bulb pumped vigorously before I removed the carburetor. I inspect the fuel lines, and the clear one going to the primer bulb is rotting.

I'll try to pick up a new set of fuel lines tomorrow. Is it really important to have the spark arrestor screen in the muffler? If so, I'll pick one of those up, too. Is a service manual for these engines available? I couldn't find one on-line.

Why there was no spark through the tester, I don't know; I'll try it on another running engine. It's not like there's much that can go wrong with these...

Thank you.
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Postby OverKnight » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Success!

I bought a new fuel line kit, and went through the carburetor, but didn't find anything amiss. After a few pulls, it started started. and after a few minutes of warm-up I adjusted that carburetor. It now runs great; I dethatched my backyard, and it didn't miss a beat.

I'm figuring the spark plug was the initial issue, and then the fuel line, because when I first suspected the coil, it was getting enough gas for the spark plug to be wet. After installing a new spark plug, I could see a spark, but the plug remained dry. The lesson here is, when you fix one thing and it still doesn't run, go back to the basics; compression, fuel and ignition.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum