• Advertisement

Wheeled string trimmers?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Wheeled string trimmers?

Postby BLES » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:46 pm

I hope this is allowed.... not exactly a technical question....

Do any of you have experience with wheeled string trimmers? Every time I get one to work on, I find them a most interesting piece of equipment. I think they'd be great around the farm. Problem is every one I see is built like junk. Does anyone know of a heavy duty commercial type? I wonder about Echo Bearcat but have never seen one. I don't care too much about price. I believe in buying my last one first.

Look forward to hearing recommendations. Thanks.

BLES
BLES
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Wheeled string trimmers?

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:14 am

The only ones that I work on that is under commercial use is the Husqvarna HU625HWT. The first one the customer didn't survive beyond the first year of use. The equipment failure was lack of maintenance, they never changed air filter and it so clogged mud that suck a hole through it which allow dirt into the engine.

Now to the things I have seen to happen to the two current trimmers the nursery has in use. The mow balls fails quite regularly due to dirt getting the ball bearing. The replacement belts Husqvarna sent out didn't fit; way too short. I had to modify the engagement assembly by moving the brake. This allowed me to install a standard inch size belt. This still had the head turning some in the disengaged position which has since stop. Next problem that required me getting a machine shop involved was the spindle shaft. It fits too loose in the bearings allowing it to slip instead turning the bearings and wear out the shaft journals. I had the shaft knurled for a press fit which resolved the problem. One other which was customer induce was the addition of fuel strainers as grass was clogging the carbs.

The customers personnel has since been trained to check the air filters and oil before which use. This resolved resolved the engine failures in general they were having with all their equipment. To give an idea how dirty the filters getting look at the filter in the following thread on the handheld Echo stringer trimmers after only one month of use. They had brought in two of them into the shop in this condition. I didn't even they had them so I got a filter short.
http://www.ppeten.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2447

Considering the abuse they receive at the nursery they are holding up well for this particular customer on the 30+ acres that they maintain.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:41 am

Bearcat are built for the rental market with an impressive warranty too for rental use.. kind of tells you something about them don't it? too bad you aren't within an easy drive of here or I'd sell you our Demo WT190 at a price you'd never find anywhere else for a new unit... but they are very nicely built machines,. looks to hold up better than the DR field mower.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:16 am

Bearcat is the only one I have seen that will stand up although thy need maintenance like anything else. I am not familiar with DR. Ignore the low priced box store units, they generally don't last two seasons even under home owner use.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum