• Advertisement

Briggs overreving

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs overreving

Postby Gerry » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:13 pm

Got a Briggs model: 445777 Type: 0122E1 Code: 990315YG in, it is over revving on start up. I have done the static gov reset and it still over revs on start up. I can lower the RPM if I move the governor shaft by hand. The linkage is good and the spring has good tension. I have used a flex tube with magnet to see if I can pick up any loose flyweights and didn't snag any.

Can I assume that its a total governor failure and need to crack the engine or at 18 years old should it just be junked?

Thanks.

Gerry
Gerry
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Briggs overreving

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Double check the static adjustment. If it is okay then I would say you're going to need to go in for a physical check.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 pm

I have found 2 this year that was doing the same thing. What I found was the governor shaft was kinda egg shaped and this shaft is made into the block. When it spins in the block it causes governor failure or just can't adjust it like your describing. Not saying this is your case but at all but it might be something to take eyes on if u have to go inside. When the shaft gets egg shaped from what I could tell the governor hands on the shaft causing it to spin freely in block causing this issue. The owner wanted a new governor put in it anyways to try yes it helped at first then after a few times mowing it went down again in a over speed causing it to break a rod locking up the engine. Don't want to wish u any bad luck at all just wanted to throw that out there just for the info. Keep us posted and good luck. :popcorn:
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:25 am

Luffydog wrote:What I found was the governor shaft was kinda egg shaped and this shaft is made into the block.

So it is not disassemble and the bushings not replaceable as described in the service manual or shown in the IPL?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bluemower » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:19 am

your comment:
I have done the static gov reset and it still over revs on start up
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you saying the overspeed occurs only after starting the engine - then the governor responds and reduces the rpm?
bluemower
Guide

Postby Gerry » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:24 am

bluemower wrote:your comment:
I have done the static gov reset and it still over revs on start up
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you saying the overspeed occurs only after starting the engine - then the governor responds and reduces the rpm?

The governor fails as soon as the engine is started. I can reduce the RMS somewhat by manually moving the governor arm.

Thanks for all the reply's.
Gerry
Guide

Postby 38racing » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:26 am

have you checked the governor spring and checked that throttle plate is ok?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:38 pm

38racing wrote:have you checked the governor spring and checked that throttle plate is ok?

Yes both springs are in place and plate is ok.
Gerry
Guide

Postby Luffydog » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:27 am

The shaft that's in the block that the governor rides on best of my knowledge it is not replaceable. Do you think your turning the governor wrong way by chance when doing the adjustment. Hold the throttle wide open and turn the governor. When u do so after the adjustment can u move the governor shaft to idle easy with little pressure and when u take your finger off does it go back to wide with motor not running?
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:16 am

Working on my neighbour`s honda that was running too fast. I did the static adjust and then it ran too slow. Repeated 3 times to be sure. After a good carb it ran fine. Then speaking to neighbour he told me they had fiddled with governor to get it to run faster. Rule seems to be that shaft gets turned same direction as lever goes to full throttle. Makes sense because then it can only turn in the slowing down direction.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum