• Advertisement

Replacing fuel pick up tube on Briggs Pulsa-Jet carb

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Replacing fuel pick up tube on Briggs Pulsa-Jet carb

Postby creia » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:30 pm

1977 Briggs 3 HP Horizontal with "Pulsa - Jet" carb
80202 0547 -01
I will be replacing the lower (plastic) half of the long pick up tube with this Briggs part # 391813
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391813-Pick-Up- ... Sw3mpXGUDP
I have replaced the older style press-in 1-piece all brass long tubes before. This is a first time for this style. I had a heck of a time getting what was left of the old plastic tube and retaining ring/clip off w/o damaging the brass tube. It looks like it will be a real challenge to get the new one on and (especially) opening up and sliding on the retaining ring/clip that secures the tube. Any words of wisdom from you old timer pros out there that have done this before? You will need to go into the "Way-back Machine" and remember how you did it back in the day?!
Thank you for any help.
Michael :)
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Replacing fuel pick up tube on Briggs Pulsa-Jet carb

Postby bgsengine » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:48 pm

creia wrote:1977 Briggs 3 HP Horizontal with "Pulsa - Jet" carb
80202 0547 -01
I will be replacing the lower (plastic) half of the long pick up tube with this Briggs part # 391813
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391813-Pick-Up- ... Sw3mpXGUDP
I have replaced the older style press-in 1-piece all brass long tubes before. This is a first time for this style. I had a heck of a time getting what was left of the old plastic tube and retaining ring/clip off w/o damaging the brass tube. It looks like it will be a real challenge to get the new one on and (especially) opening up and sliding on the retaining ring/clip that secures the tube. Any words of wisdom from you old timer pros out there that have done this before? You will need to go into the "Way-back Machine" and remember how you did it back in the day?!
Thank you for any help.

I presume you have a copy of the service manual covering that .. there is a bit in there about replacing these - slide the clip on the brass tube, then soak the nylon nozzle in hot water to soften things up, also helps to have the brass tube well warmed and a *tiny* dab of warm soap just enough to "slicken" the end of the tube and then just slide things straight together and get the clip over the end, let everything cool down and rinse off the soap , then flush and dry like you would any other carburetor.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:22 pm

Brian,
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I do have the Briggs manual and saw the (very brief) note about installing it. My main concern was how to "slip on" that tiny retaining clip/band over the plastic tube. How do you open/enlarge it to be able to go over the plastic tube end? Is it spring back tension alone that holds it on or do I need to crimp it on with pliers?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:07 pm

It should just slip on - helps if you warm that as well (at the same time as warming the brass tube) and work quickly - when it cools everything shrinks down and locks tight - the retaining ring is somewhat like a springy hose clamp without anything to help remove or install (should be able to spot the split in the ring if you look closely)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 pm

OK- understood, duly noted, and appreciated.
creia
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Epilogue:
I was able to get it installed yesterday! :D
I found that you have to REALLY heat up the end of the plastic pick up tube for quite awhile in boiling hot water for it to soften up enough. Even then, I could only push it about 1/2 way on. I finished getting it on all the way by carefully tapping it on the rest of the way with a small wood block and hammer while the brass tube from the carb was clamped securely in a vice with soft jaws. Finally, I slid the retainer clip over the end which was a bit of a challenge as well. :o
All in all, it only cost me $ 4.00 (I purchased one for much less than the Ebay ad I originally posted the link to) to resserect an otherwise very nice Pulsa Jet carb. Many thanks to all that replied with their pointers. :)
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum