• Advertisement

Homelite trimmer

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Homelite trimmer

Postby lefty » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:29 pm

Homelite Trimmer
UT33600A
Carb: WT1059

Dropped off as not running. It would run for about 2-3 seconds after priming and then die. As many times as I liked to try it.

Cleaned the carb and replaced metering diaphragm, which I had an extra of, with the same result. The other diaphragm looks good. Also replaced the screen, which I had lying around. Ran it without the fuel filter and got slightly better results but same effect.

One thing I did notice was a lot of vacuum in the tank. So I assume I have fuel delivery problem. When I removed the primer line, fuel shot out across the room. Rather than buy a kit, I see a new carb is about $30. I'm guessing a new carb will solve the problem but wanted to run it by the crew.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Homelite trimmer

Postby RoyM » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:58 pm

Replace the carb unless you are prepared to work for nothing. Those things are too inexpensive to spend time on.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:17 pm

lefty wrote:One thing I did notice was a lot of vacuum in the tank.

If you're having a lot on the tank try loosening the cap and see it runs before blaming the carburetor. The theory is that the fuel tank vent valve is stuck closed. Normally you have a pressurized tank.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks KE. Did that test with same results so I pulled the carb off again and went through it more thoroughly. Got it running and dialed it in best I could. It seems to run good at this point. Thanks to everyone. Given the machine is such a cheapy, I think this is where it should end. A new one looks about $70 so I think a new carb at $30 wouldn't make much sense at this point.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:45 am

Hi Lefty

Have you checked to make sure the pulse port is clear? Has a gasket been installed incorrectly plugging the port between the insulator and carburetor? Just a couple of thoughts. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby lefty » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Skywatcher wrote:Hi Lefty

Have you checked to make sure the pulse port is clear? Has a gasket been installed incorrectly plugging the port between the insulator and carburetor? Just a couple of thoughts. All the best,

Sky

Good question. It looked good from the carb side but the insulator, which I'm guessing is the thick plastic spacer between the carb and engine?..., had some type of flange out it that held it in there and I wasn't able to check the back side of the insulator where it makes contact with the engine without disassembling more of the machine....I think.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum