• Advertisement

flywheel magnets

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

flywheel magnets

Postby BLES » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:28 am

Kohler CH960 spec 0011
Neighbors engine quit charging. Upon initial inspection, one or more of the magnets have come off and got "crunched" inside the flywheel. I asked him if he heard anything, and he described the "crunching" just before it quit charging. ;) Check.

Do I have to replace the complete flywheel? Seems like there should be a magnet kit or something, but all I can see is a complete new flywheel. $$$

BLES
BLES
Guide

Advertisement

Re: flywheel magnets

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:11 am

I don't think the magnets are available through Kohler. Nothing listed on the Kohler Plus site.

I would go ahead and pull the flywheel just to what the damages are. Probably going to need the stator too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:57 pm

Yes, definitely pull and inspect before ordering up parts. On all Kohlers for me. I've seen the stators both untouched and mangled. Briggs I can not see loose magnets for a couple years at a time. The last Briggs 31" ripped 2 of the stator mounting bosses out of the block. Owner not exactly ecstatic about the whole thing...
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:10 am

I only dealt with Kohler with bad magnets. The owner dropped a screw during replacement of the PCV gasket. It found it way under the flywheel. It chewed up everything but didn't break the stator mounting studs. THe only other flywheel magnet problem I have seen was on the Tecumseh engines I had two that on mowers that the owners was trying the mower for a small fortune thinking I would buy new price for an used broken down mower.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby BLES » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks guys. I already checked availability of flywheel and stator, but hadn't thought about possible broken mounting bosses on the stator. Guess I'll just have to see what's in there! Could be very expensive for just a small magnet coming loose!
BLES
BLES
Guide

Postby hanz63 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:08 pm

I see several of Kohler magnet snafus a year by me. Strange thing was when I put on one of the updated Command twin ignition kits earlier in the year, I swear the kit w/ the coils and flywheel was cheaper than buying just the flywheel.
hanz63
Forum Pro

update

Postby BLES » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:45 am

Flywheel magnets are wrecked and busted up the stator. Mounting bosses are good, thankfully. Will get some new parts and get it back together now.
Thanks.
BLES
BLES
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum