• Advertisement

Kawasaki twin - water in oil

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kawasaki twin - water in oil

Postby BLES » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:27 pm

Neighbor asked me to look at his John Deere Gator 6x4 Kawasaki V-twin liquid cooled. He thinks it's a 1998 but can't find any numbers on the engine and the tag is mostly missing from the frame. Just the last few digits of serial # intact.

It runs fine but keeps getting water/coolant in the oil. Anyone have ANY experience or knowledge of these Kawasaki twins? Compression is good and equal on both sides. I might try to see if I can do a leak-down and see if I can detect a leak.? Otherwise I guess I'll rip into it and see what I find.

BLES
BLES
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Kawasaki twin - water in oil

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:27 pm

A few possible sources.

Bad water pump seal or gasket. (I would suspect this first since the engine has good compression)
Head gasket. (but can still be this if gasket are bad)
Cylinder head warped.
Cylinder head cracks.

Caution if you're going to remove the heads back off all cylinder head bolts 1/4 turn and repeat until they are loose. This is procedure for the Kawasaki V twin I tearing down this weekend. It says head warp-age is possible if not done this way. Something I afraid the owner didn't do when he put on a set used head sets he got off Ripbay. They were supposedly new but I see [impressions] where they have been installed before.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby BLES » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks. Never thought about pump gasket. Will keep you posted.
BLES
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:18 am

I need to add the intake gaskets to the list as the FD620D I'm working on has water flowing thru the intake. Found this as pulling it down to remove the heads.

Only External leakage; unless, being in through the intake.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: Kawasaki twin - water in oil - update

Postby BLES » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:47 am

He decided he didn't want to do anything with this old engine and found a replacement. I guess I'll never know "the rest of the story".
BLES
BLES
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum