• Advertisement

Kawasaki FD620D-ES01 / JD 445

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kawasaki FD620D-ES01 / JD 445

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Working on a JD 445 with a Kawasaki FD620D-ES01.

Was brought in for bubbling in the radiator while running. Owner had change on head gasket (RH side of mower/I am thinking that is #1 cylinder). He brought a pair gasket off Ebay that turned to have been installed before, impression where they were torqued down and one was damage otherwise. I order new gaskets both head and intake.

Installed the gaskets Saturday and started the mower today. Before I started the engine was running rough but smooth out on #2 only but was rough on #1 only. When I replaced the head gaskets I found #2 badly eaten away by the antifreeze. this was the source of the cylinder gas making it way into the radiator. Now that I have this it will not run on #2 with the increase compression which is now 200 psi. I have change the plugs and swap the coils around and the problem remain with #2.

Electrically the only things I unplug was the injector and the map sensor proir to changing the coils around. I have the valves and they are operating normally.

With this in mind would this sound like fuel injection control module down as it appears to control the ignition system? From what I see on wiring this about the only possible cause. Around $1300 for new module.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Kawasaki FD620D-ES01 / JD 445

Postby bgsengine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:28 pm

What about grounds? check ground from module to ground? (voltage drop) I would want to verify no spark at #2 in that case, check firing voltages, etc. This is a perfect example of where a DSO or graphing meter might come in handy (Snap-On Vantage for example) with an inductive ignition pickup you can watch the ignition pattern for oddities and drop-outs, you can monitor the sensor inputs that command spark , injection, etc. Electronics (as I am sure you know well) are much more sensitive to ground problems.. what about the plug boot/resistor cap?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Luffydog » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:12 pm

By chance u have a pic of this engine left and right side views.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:30 pm

Rock solid grounds at pin 2,3,4. Zero resistance between coil Neg [-] terminal to pin 9. Compete swap of ignition coil packs. 12+ volts on the + terminal of both coils.

Don't have a DSO or graphing meter.

The only plug firing test in the cylinder that I can do here is the removal of the plug wires which I have done. That is what pointing to #2 down. Pulling #1 the engine dies a slow shutdown.

Plug seems to firing out of time or weak as my RPM meter detects impluses on the plug wire at the engine rpm. I know not a good test but does show the present of the pulses. And I haven't been able to find my 100:1 scope lead either; I don't want to chance my oscilloscope on the 10:1 lead.. Thinking I got low trigger voltages or ignition timing problems; both controlled by the fuel inject module. Only has one trigger coil both plugs so a time delay is involve in trigger the second coil.

Looks like I need to send this one on to JD for final repairs.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:32 pm

Luffydog wrote:By chance u have a pic of this engine left and right side views.

Nope but I can made a couple. Take me a little bit as I got to clear a little room on the phone.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Images requested. Don't know what you're looking for, Luffy
Image Image]
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Is this efi or dfi
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:23 pm

If I understand what DFI is then it not Direct Fuel Injection. The injection is done by single injector at the throttle body so I thinking it is a basic EFI system; don't even have O2 sensor.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Luffydog » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:40 pm

Digital fuel injection. I had a unit a few years ago doing a weird thing like this. What I was looking for in the pics is the fuel hose. I know funny right but. Take a pair of pliers and slightly squeeze the fuel return hose to see if it runs better.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:35 am

With electronics weird is always possible. Heck I was told a memory chip failure would not damage a hard drive but it did.

Found this description of DFI
The system uses tubes with poppet valves from a central injector to spray fuel at each intake port rather than the central throttle-body.

From this I would say it is just single point EFI system and that the intake ports are one and not separate.

It should run on either cylinder due to single point injection though a pressure drop couple could cause both not run properly at the same time. I gather you're thinking a possible fuel delivery problem. Now if the injector isn't triggered properly for the fuel pulse for #2 would make some sense but that leads me right back to fuel injector controller box. Actually I don't if they are doing this or not on the single point injection. The system is from around 2000.

Where are you wanting me to clamp? Three points possible. Regulator return, Throttle body return, both after they are merged or just try three all places?
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum