• Advertisement

Help with Grasshopper Hydraulics

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Help with Grasshopper Hydraulics

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 05, 2017 9:10 am

Fulltilt, Don't get your panties in a wad. A reamer is better than the sandpaper the OP thought of. Besides when doing Briggs 1/4 valves guides it takes me 3 standard reamers to install the aftermarket guides.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Fulltilt » Fri May 05, 2017 9:19 am

Well, it's a good bet, dare I say a lead pipe cinch, that the OP doesn't have an adj. reamer, whereas, he probably has a machine shop in the vicinity that he could take the parts to...don't you think?

All pretty much a moot point, because he probably has already sanded it out...
A mind is a terrible thing to waste...
Fulltilt
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 05, 2017 9:37 am

Boy I wish I had good machine shop close. The closest one to me is over 30 miles one way and they don't even have the tools most times to do the work I needed done. I usually end up sending things to a machine shop on Redstone that does work for Marshall Space Flight which 45 miles away which why I have brought a lot my own machine work tools.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RMR » Fri May 05, 2017 9:41 am

Nope, I haven't worked on it today, and likely won't. But I did talk to the customer a while ago and after I explained the options of me clearancing it on the drill press or trying to find a machine shop to do it, and that I can't guarantee it will last any longer if a shop does it, he said if they can do it for under $150, then have them do it. Otherwise I'll do it. The problem lies with both techniques is what exactly is the tolerance I need, AND what cause the swelling to begin with and did it weaken the bushing?

And btw, fulltilt, you are right, I did not read the manual before I tore it apart. While you guys were unknowingly posting that info, I was out working on it. I guess its too late for that now....Crossing fingers.
RMR
Forum Regular

Postby RMR » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Update. Sorry it's been so long. I fixed it! After many attempts at trying to find a machine shop to give me a estimate on machining the bearing, I finally found one that would give me the time of day to at least talk to me. After explaining what was going on, the guy actually advised against machining it, but rather to just hone it instead. So I took it back to the shop, ordered a tiny little brake hone, and went to town. After several test fits, I had it down to a snug, but smooth fit. I guestimate .001-.002". Then after a massive cleaning, I mic'd the ball bearing holes and ball bearings, which all measured within .00010 of each other and put it back together, filled it up, purged the air, and it ran like a champ. The customer was extremely happy. Since I warranty my work and this being more less experimental challenge, with zero expectation of a successful repair, I didn't charge him for the labor to fix it. I just charged the labor to remove it, tear it apart, diagnose it, and reinstall it. It has been over 3 months now and it's still going strong. I'll be throwing this one in the book of "They told me it couldn't be done, but I did itanyway!" As well as the book of "Things I hope I never have to do again"...... :lol:
RMR
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks for closure of this and your solution.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RMR » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:30 pm

You're welcome.

I do hate it when I go on a internet rabbit trial and never get closure to a problem.
RMR
Forum Regular

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum