• Advertisement

Briggs overreving

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs overreving

Postby Walt 2002 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:06 am

I have a good 44 series block for $20 plus shipping IF it turns out the governor shaft is bad.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com
Walt 2002
Forum Regular

Postby Gerry » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:55 pm

Luffydog wrote:The shaft that's in the block that the governor rides on best of my knowledge it is not replaceable. Do you think your turning the governor wrong way by chance when doing the adjustment. Hold the throttle wide open and turn the governor. When u do so after the adjustment can u move the governor shaft to idle easy with little pressure and when u take your finger off does it go back to wide with motor not running?

No I have the made the adjustment correctly according to the repair manual. After the adjustment I can move the governor shaft to the idle position with little pressure and when I let it go it returns to the wide open position.
Gerry
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:33 pm

Then I would think you have a governor gear failure and there is only one way to know for sure and that is to go in.

Not hard to get to just remember to remove the push rods while noting which side they came from. I use a zip tie to keep the pairs together. I remove the push rods without loosing the adjustments or rocker studs that way I don't needed to redo adjustments if recently done. Note the crankcase gasket is $25 list and it does include new screws as have lock tight applied. Valve covers can use gasket or RTV.

Just the crankcase gasket replacement on a 44M. I would return to mower today but the voltage regulator output is all over the place with 0vdc output to over 40 vdc output. Makes the 5th regulator this year I had to replaced before this I went 6 yrs without replacing a single one. Not just Briggs, It has been Kawasaki and Generac too. When it rains it pours.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 am

Well guess we will never know for sure, owner wont put any money into it. She said she will pick it up and list on Craigslist as parts only. Thank yall for the great help.
Gerry
Guide

Postby Luffydog » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Have to wonder why they even bring it in if they don't and won't spend any money on it. Have that here all the time but have to charge for your time it's worth something right.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Gerry,
I hope that you got SOME $$ for the time you spent on it before the owner bailed?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum