• Advertisement

Briggs Regulator

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs Regulator

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:03 am

Boy did I get ripped by Briggs. They selling the same regulator under two different part numbers at two very different prices.

Recently I had to replace a couple 10-16 amp regulators Pn 845907. Now today while helping a member on another forum I found that 593490 was the same regulator except it has a fiberglass heat shield over the AC lines. A price cost difference of 19.80 ea. Otherwords, I should had been paying $24 instead of $43.80. since they are basically the same regulator. A Dirty trick by Briggs but business is business.

Another lesson learned.... ;)
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs Regulator

Postby bgsengine » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:21 am

I think the 59xxxx numbers are made from a different supplier, and I will bet once the 845907 inventory is gone, it supercedes to the 593490 Seems to be the case with quite a few of the more expensive briggs numbers (Ive seen this with some carbs and kits too) only thing is they don't tell you about it until the old stock is gone. (for obvious reasons)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Just venting my frustration today.... Back the scrape pile of 2 cycles learning some new things. Like how to get Echo SRM225 clutch housing apart when the bearing are locked up.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:33 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Just venting my frustration today.... Back the scrape pile of 2 cycles learning some new things. Like how to get Echo SRM225 clutch housing apart when the bearing are locked up.

Just replace the clutch housing - they are quite cheap (about $42) cheaper than the half hour labor + parts to replace bearings :) Clutch should be slotted enough to reach the internal snap ring behind it and then press out the clutch drum and bearings as an assembly.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Agree on the costs. Just passing time. The customer didn't want to even pay the hour shop time, carburetor kit, and the housing so he left the trimmer for me to use for parts.

Actually no way to get to the large snap ring without removing the small snap ring and pressing the drum assembly out so you can get to large snap then the bearings can be pressed out.

It appear that they installed the bearings, the large snap ring, and then pressed the clutch drum in, and finally installed the small snap ring.

Anyway it is apart. Looks like the bearings are 28 x 12 x 8. Both were rusted solid from being left out in the rain.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum