• Advertisement

Compression test? Proper way to test...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Compression test? Proper way to test...

Postby dart451 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:43 pm

Working on a DR brush mower with a Briggs 8.75 hp 120502-0116-B1. Seems a bit sluggish when I engage the mowing blade. What is the proper way to check compression on most Briggs engines? On first pull I get 45 lbs, 2nd, about 65 lbs, and 3rd 90 pounds. Just wondering if a valve adjustment might be in sight before I take the valve cover off. Thanks.
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Compression test? Proper way to test...

Postby creia » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:58 pm

The very FIRST thing- The throttle MUST opened completely! (if you do not your readings will be way off). Then pull 5 times in rapid succession. The reading on your last pull is your compression PSI.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:59 pm

creia wrote:The very FIRST thing- The throttle MUST opened completely! (if you do not your readings will be way off).
Right
Then pull 5 times in rapid succession. The reading on your last pull is your compression PSI.
Michael

No actually pull until the needle stops moving. whether it be 5 times or 20
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:03 pm

bgsengine wrote:
creia wrote:The very FIRST thing- The throttle MUST opened completely! (if you do not your readings will be way off).
Right
Then pull 5 times in rapid succession. The reading on your last pull is your compression PSI.
Michael

No actually pull until the needle stops moving. whether it be 5 times or 20

You are correct, however, on the 50+ engines that we have compressioned-tested over the years, I have never seen the needle climb any higher after the 5th pull.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:06 pm

120Q502-0116-B1

If sluggish I would also be checking spindle and Idler pulley bearings.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:19 am

A compression test really is not an accurate indicator of engine condition because of the automatic compression release. A leak down test is more accurate and can pinpoint problem areas. Check your valve clearances, if they are off performance will suffer.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum