• Advertisement

Doodle Bug mini bike govenor/carb problems

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Doodle Bug mini bike govenor/carb problems

Postby jwales » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:25 am

Friend dropped off this mini bike, "cant get it to run right". 5hp Chinese Honda-ish clone. Lots of problems at first look. Throttle return spring and governor spring missing and of course the governor shaft was loose as he had removed the bolt that secures it to the shaft.
So I cleaned the carb, cleaned the fuel tank, new fuel line, new spark plug gapped correctly, new springs attached correctly based on distributor tech services. Starts up and keeps running. Problem is it does not slow down to "idle", clutch is still engaged at no throttle and when turning the handle bar throttle to full no change(engine does not rev up). If I move the throttle on the carb the governor "engages" and it speeds up like I assumed it should.

My thought here is that the governor is not operating correctly due to the owner removing the bolt that holds the governor arm to the shaft. Not sure how to "adjust"/ "set" the governor correctly? Should it be done with all springs connected or should they be disconnected? I have seen some threads along time ago here on proper governor settings for lawn mowers with Briggs or Tech engines. Don't know if that would be general for this or not? Will have to look for that thread.

Am I thinking correctly? Any tips on setting governor?
Thanks.
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Doodle Bug mini bike govenor/carb problems

Postby Mr Mower Man » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:47 am

I've never seen a governor adjustment any different from what you've probably seen on this forum before. Leave the springs connected, just loosen the nut or screw that tightens the governor arm on the shaft. Move the governor arm in the direction that moves the throttle plate open on the carburetor. Move it until it stops or "maxes out" (this is wide open throttle), and then make sure the governor shaft is also maxed out in the same direction it was moving when you moved the governor arm to wide open throttle position. Then tighten the arm on the shaft as you're holding them both in the maxed out position. I can do it a whole lot easier than I can explain it, so I hope that's clear enough.
Mr Mower Man
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:56 am

You did make sure throttle cable is working as could be broken or broken at the throttle control?
StarTech

Postby 38racing » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:37 am

in your list you didn't actually say that you replaced the missing governor shaft bolt. i assume that you did.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi J.

By your description, it sounds like this machine had been taken apart at least once before it came to you. My first hunch is to make sure all the gaskets are the right way round and in the right order. I have had a few Honda and Honda clone engines where the metal gasket with the rubber seal was put on the cylinder side of the carburetor instead of the air cleaner side. Just something that may be worth checking. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Return to Technical Discussion Forum