• Advertisement

Engine HP Question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Engine HP Question

Postby bob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:29 pm

I have a Briggs and Stratton 17 HP , Twin Cylinder Engine that needs replaced. It drives a 44" mower deck. Would an engine the same HP or slightly less but a single cylinder do the job. Thanks.
bob
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Engine HP Question

Postby 38racing » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:00 pm

I would think so. mtd has put out same 42 " decks with engines from 13 hp to 17 hp singles.
I have a Noma that is 14 hp with a 43" deck
Just be patient with your cutting speed and deck height.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:17 pm

I thinking probably referring to an older Briggs Opposed engine but there the Vanguards v-twins that are around 18hp. Personally I go up in hp to something like a 19 hp at least. My reasoning is you are no longer producing power on every rev but coasting one of two rpms. Even with V twin you are coasting nearly 3/4 of a rpm. You depending on the flywheel effect during these times.

Just a personal opinion.

I would think so. mtd has put out same 42 " decks with engines from 13 hp to 17 hp singles.

Yes 38racing MTD did this low power engines on some 42" but they are gutless wonders too when comes to cutting grass. I currently a single 16.5 hp on a MTD Yard Machines 42" that has problem cutting high grass. I got an older rated 21 hp (rated 19 hp on the newer spec rating system) that I will be putting on it in a week or so just got to get to it as is going to replace a 38" that I personally use that has 15.5 hp on it . The 38" will cut just anything I throw at it though I do need to giving time on waist high grass and weeds.

I have a Noma that is 14 hp with a 43" deck

Murray and Noma both used drive pulleys that match the HP up better to the decks.

Let see what others that do more engine transplants thinks.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Yes it is an older Briggs 42A777 1270-01. I think maybe around 1995
bob
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum