• Advertisement

Echo edger smoking after running

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Echo edger smoking after running

Postby jwales » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:35 pm

I have this Echo lawn edger, I forget the model number right now (PE-210?) but it looks the same as the SRM model weed trimmers, straight shaft but edger attachment instead. Anyway friend said it would not run and the primer would not prime. So I dis-assembled the carb and ran it through my ultrasonic cleaner a few times, gaskets look good, replaced fuel & primer lines and primer bulb. Primer works and got it started. Engine will not idle, feels like it is laboring when you ease off the throttle. At full throttle it seems to be running good. When I turned it off white/gray smoke comes out of the muffler for a while.
Thought maybe the muffler was plugged so pulled it (much heavier duty muffler than on the typical echo weed trimmers). Screens were clean. Decided to run the muffler through the ultrasonic as well since it was off. re-installed (after blowing it dry) and fired it up. No noticeable change in performance and smoked again after shutting off??
If smoke was blue/black I would assume to be a rich fuel mixture. Is this a lean condition?? of course this carb has no adjustments. The fuel is fresh premium and 40:1mix. Anything other than another carb cleaning to look at?????
Thanks, Joe
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Echo edger smoking after running

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:32 pm

Diaphragm condition can be stiffen somewhat and a lean out at idle. The condition of these are subject to your experience level with working with other 2 cycles. Also depending model and carburetor may just have the EPA tamper resistance plugs over the adjustment screws.

I haven't had any luck cleaning carbon from pistons in the UC so it may not have work for you either; just depends what you were using to clean with. For test purposes you can leave the muffler off and see how it runs without it. Now it will be very loud which is why I have ear plugs on hand here, just common sense to protect your hearing when up close to the engine. If runs better then the muffler might be carbon clogged.

If the adjustments are right and the trimmer has sitting for a long time it may just burning off excess oil just depends how long you are running it. I know some of the trimmer here smokes on shut down after repairs but usually clears up after 15 or so minutes, just don't want to be running them lean.

BGS will probably have more on these as he would be more familiar with them then I since just caught the stragglers that dealers don't want to fool with.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:30 pm

depending on serial number, might could be normal if you havent run it long enough to get full operating temperature - some of them have catalytic mufflers with a catalyst element could just be hot enough the element burning off excess moisture, oil, and any soap or suds residye from UC cleaning , lucky if the UC cleaner didnt ruin the catalyst element
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:51 pm

Joe,
Re: Smoking-
I am a bit confused (easy to do at my "advanced" age!). In the first part of your post you state the color was "white/gray", then toward the end you state "blue/black" :?:
Can you clarify which color it was as they are symptoms of different conditions?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:03 pm

Creia, He said "If smoke was blue/black I would assume to be a rich fuel mixture" indicating it is not.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:06 am

bgs - thats what is in the muffler, catalytic circular element. Crap I hope I did not ruin it. Just used H2O and Dawn.

Michael - While the engine was running at mid or full throttle I could not observe any smoke from the muffler. When I turned it off there was very obivious white/gray smoke coming from the muffler.
My thought process lead me to believe if the smoke had been blue/black it would indicate a rich fuel mixture. The white/gray smoke confused me. Hope that clarifies.

I think I will try running it for a while and see what happens/changes. I have never edged my lawn before, maybe it will look nice. :lol:
Thanks.
jwales
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum