• Advertisement

Subaru efi motor

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Subaru efi motor

Postby bobkat59 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and i have a question.I was given a pressure washer that has a Subaru EX21 Fuel Injected Motor on it. It runs great BUT, The fuel pump diaphragm is leaking out the vent hole.I called Subaru and was told they no longer make parts for the efi system on that motor and to convert it to a carburetor.I don't want to spend a lot of money on this. Any suggestions? Can I by-pass it with an external fuel pump?
bobkat59

Advertisement

Re: Subaru efi motor

Postby bgsengine » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:11 pm

bobkat59 wrote:Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and i have a question.I was given a pressure washer that has a Subaru EX21 Fuel Injected Motor on it. It runs great BUT, The fuel pump diaphragm is leaking out the vent hole.I called Subaru and was told they no longer make parts for the efi system on that motor and to convert it to a carburetor.
Yep that is about all you can do with them. Subaru is actually exiting the small engines business (Yamaha I think is taking that over from them)
I don't want to spend a lot of money on this. Any suggestions? Can I by-pass it with an external fuel pump?
NO can't just use an ordinary fuel pump as fuel pressure is critical for proper EFI operation and an external fuel pump just can't get the precise pressures you need to maintain.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 pm

What is a carb going to cost you? You stated that you were "given" the pressure washer (I am assuming for free?) so you are not out any $$ - yet.If your only major expenditure is going to be a carb and they are not too expensive (maybe use an aftermarket/China one?) that would seem like a worthwhile and reasonable "investment" to have a working usable pressure washer, if you actually need/want one?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 pm

creia wrote:What is a carb going to cost you? You stated that you were "given" the pressure washer (I am assuming for free?) so you are not out any $$ - yet.If your only major expenditure is going to be a carb and they are not too expensive (maybe use an aftermarket/China one?) that would seem like a worthwhile and reasonable "investment" to have a working usable pressure washer, if you actually need/want one?
Michael

exactly logic I was just using on my wife. I can get a cheap gas pressure washer because tecumseh engine on it probably needs cleaning. a friend just gave me a 1300 generator. half hour work cleaning main jet and runs perfect.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:40 am

An after market carburetor on E-bay is $30 plus you need to obtain a choke lever.

Robin/Subaru PN 2786230160
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobkat59 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 am

When i called Subaru, They gave me a parts list to convert it. It had a carb. a choke kit, and a governor rod kit,a wiring harness for the module all for the low low price of 325.00. Along with this ill need a hose and nozzle kit.Anyone want it for free? PM me....
I'm in central Texas about 120 miles west of San Antonio.
bobkat59

Return to Technical Discussion Forum