• Advertisement

Missing Kohler CH960

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Missing Kohler CH960

Postby BLES » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:02 pm

CH960-2011

Needing help from all you knowledgeable gents here....

Neighbour brought it to me missing intermittently on #1 cylinder. I don't have an analyzer, but used a couple different spark checkers. Nothing obvious but the miss, SEEMS worse at low RPM.?

Swapped plugs, coils, but miss remains on #1.
Compression equal at 155 psi both cylinders. Checked for intake leak. Cleaned carb.

Nothing changes the miss on #1. What am I missing?

BLES
BLES
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Missing Kohler CH960

Postby Luffydog » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:31 pm

from what I can see it has a dual barrel carb on it. my guess would be that #1 not getting enough fuel from the carb because has something still in the blocking.. taking it that spark is good and not failing under compression!!!!!!
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby BLES » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Luffydog wrote:from what I can see it has a dual barrel carb on it. my guess would be that #1 not getting enough fuel from the carb because has something still in the blocking.. taking it that spark is good and not failing under compression!!!!!!

You're correct. I've had the carb off several times and it's immaculate, but disassembled and ran it through the cleaner anyway. I've tried injecting a bit of "fuel" into the one barrel but found it hard to get an accurate diagnosis. I thought swapping coils and plugs would eliminate spark from the equation.

I might just start over again from square one in case I missed something.

BLES
BLES
Guide

Postby Luffydog » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:08 pm

I'm the past I haven't had much luck with those dual barrels didnt really mater which Kohler,Briggs or Kawasaki. I know they are pricey but if u start pulling them off two three or four times with no luck then your costing yourself time and money. When u have it running when u pull the choke out some does it seem to improve the running? And if you pull the plug wires off one at a time does it die? If so take a little carb cleaner and pull the plug wire off that u know that's going to kill it and spray it in the breather to see if it keeps running or not.
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Check the low speed jet could partially clogged or there excessive air leaking by. At mid range and low speeds fuel and air is mixed in the low speed jet.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

update

Postby BLES » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Finally cured it.
Ended up being the tiniest of tiny holes, in one of the black plastic plugs on the top of the carb (not sure what they're called). Used one wire cut out of a fine wire brush to poke through it. Reassembled, and runs fine now.
Thanks for the input.
BLES
BLES
Guide

Postby Luffydog » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:42 pm

Glad to hear you got it up and going. I have clean all those parts out before without much luck maybe two out 10 has ran good with no issues and still running and about two others ran ok but not like it should after about the third cleaning out because they couldn't afford the new carb or didn't want to fix it and about six or so I had new carbs replacements. They all have been this year. mostly the Briggs carbs. Thanks for the update!!!
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Re: update

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:07 am

BLES wrote:Finally cured it.
Ended up being the tiniest of tiny holes, in one of the black plastic plugs on the top of the carb (not sure what they're called). Used one wire cut out of a fine wire brush to poke through it. Reassembled, and runs fine now.
Thanks for the input.
BLES

That would be your slow speed jets.

This what I use a strand of wire from a Stihl throttle cable for too. On one Nikki twin barrel there was something like a grain of sand in one slow jet several years ago that was a bear to get out.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum