• Advertisement

really old lawnboy

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

really old lawnboy

Postby 38racing » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Someone gave me an old lawnboy to see if I could get running to sell in charity yard sale. Model plate is round but smoothed of any numbers etc. It fired on sprayed in carb cleaner so I pulled the carb and cleaned it. It will start and run at proper noload rpm . It has a light and normal governor setting and rpms noload change accordingly. I tried to cut grass . It cuts well but it will stop under extreme load . Currently set for low cut and grass damp. I need to check throttle rod position to governor. Based on governor style it appears to be d400 engine. I've just found that carb is a modular one introduced in 1975 for d600 and later d400 engines. The float is quite different as per shown in this manual section.
web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/lball10-1.pdf
The needle point appears worn but it does not flood.
Since the more common float shows nla under lawnboy number ( found it under toro number) I expect this style is super NLA.
I'm thinking this unit maybe should be offered for sale only to a collector type and not some joe looking for a cheap mower to cut his grass (I got newer ones they can buy for that and will have parts still available.).
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: really old lawnboy

Postby RoyM » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:46 am

Is it beige or green? Beige would put it in the mid to late 60's. I wish I were closer, I love those mowers. You could pull the muffler to check the piston through the exhaust ports just for grins but the poor old girl is probably worn out.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Re: really old lawnboy

Postby 38racing » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:51 am

it's green. says deluxe on shroud. I raised wheels to second from highest and cut a section of my lawn without a problem other than there is a spring metal piece for the low/normal speed that vibrates loose.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum