• Advertisement

Kohler 12 085 08-S Stator wiring question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler 12 085 08-S Stator wiring question

Postby StarTech » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:15 am

I got a Kohler CV15-41567 that someone got cutter happy on. My question on the stator wiring service manual and IPL is showing part 12 085 08-S with three wires; black, yellow, and green. What I am looking has only a black wire and a green wire. I the black was to be DC and the green is the engine brake but since there is no diode present do I need to add the yellow wire to black and add branch off diode and black wire for the DC; otherwords, is the black lead from stator was wired as to produce both AC and DC or do they have the wrong stator installed?

I have done ran into the hybridized starter where both Eaton and Johnson parts were used.
Last edited by StarTech on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
StarTech

Advertisement

Re: Kohler 12 085 08-S Stator wiring question

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:42 pm

Take the stator off and bring it over Sunday and I fix it for you plus you need to pickup the cat's head as I got opened up for you so can do the surgery on it. I got the wire, connectors. and the diode here.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby StarTech » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:59 am

Sorry for the late reply was out fishing... So nice to get away from things for a while and relax.

I just bring the whole mower, some ribeyes and a few other things. While we work Little Deere and Robin can do the cooking. They won't burn the steaks like you do.
StarTech

Postby Luffydog » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:41 am

How about the rest of us????? :D
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:10 am

Luffydog wrote:How about the rest of us????? :D

I got idea you referring the food. If so I only took down one Buffalo last year. I had only a few steaks left.

I was surprised to see AVB on clutches. He had mess his back up again. He said apparently a vertebrate was dislocated, hurt like heck when it pop back into place a few days later.

On the repairs he gave me a refresher on wiring as he had me to do the work while he instructed. Ask why he had me to do it instead him just doing it. He said so I would have hands on experience doing it plus that I should remember it better too.

I tried to sneak his crimper but he put it back up as soon as I was through with it. Don't blame him after he said it cost over $70. Now I want one as I got a crimper but that thought it was as good as they got. It came with the terminals I brought. I have been problems with terminals coming back off after crimping. This was something I worry about happening on this job. Boy what a difference his crimpers made. He reassured me that they shouldn't come off and gave me a piece wire for to crimp on a ring terminal then had me to pick a mower battery by the wire after it was attached. I would say the terminal was firmly attached.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:15 am

KE4AVB wrote:I tried to sneak his crimper but he put it back up as soon as I was through with it. Don't blame him after he said it cost over $70. Now I want one as I got a crimper but that thought it was as good as they got. It came with the terminals I brought. I have been problems with terminals coming back off after crimping.
Sounds like an interesting tool - got a part number / source ?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:48 am

Its not that fancy as it is just an ACCEL 170036 Wire Crimp Tool. It just that I got tired of lousy crimps. I wish I had it long time ago. I got it last Christmas when I getting those open barrel terminals. I have a box of those terminal from HFT that crimp so tight that it actually fuses the split portion to where it disappears. It does a good job on the 7mm plug wire terminals that I use when replacing coil high voltage leads. Like Starfire said I do guard it closely as I have gotten into using it a lot lately.
I currently looking into one that I can do battery cable terminals with my impact but the little hammer crimper works for now as I don't do too many battery cable terminal replacements.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:41 pm

Certainly over $70 for us canucks.
https://fortnine.ca/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=170036
Amazon does have it for $98 cdn or
$158xxx. edit: that's$358
https://www.amazon.ca/ACCEL-170036-Wire ... rds=170036
Last edited by 38racing on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:07 pm

38, Just wondering do you have a personal gold mine in your backyard? Boy some places just tries to eat the customer alive.

And I thought some the special tools I need was expensive enough. As for the crimpers I do enough electrical to justify the cost plus I get the connectors fairly cheap through my electronics supplier.

I got to buy a M22-150 tap and die set for working on the Cat 66DX pump heads. I am looking at 50-60 for the pair. Darn red loctite jammed one of the valve cover screws. Finally got it out but cleaning out the old loctite out of the threads. Plus I had to quit using the red as instructed because it was so hard remove the caps I even that stop seating because of it which why my AirCat rounded off the cap corners 3X times before I final got it to turn even with ace/ox torch applying heat.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:23 am

While on the subject of how vendors stick it to us. I recently need a PTO clutch for a AYP mower. My distributor wanted $125 + shipping, Xtreme direct purchase $110 including shipping, and I got the same clutch through Amazon for $87.29 with free 2 day shipping.

So it makes sense to shop around sometimes as long your comparing apples to apples and lemons to lemons. That something else we all got to be careful of is vendors mis-representing products as OEM when they in fact are after market parts. I tend to get leery when prices are very different. That when I do extra careful checking. As with most us I have got stung a few times can't be 100% sure until the product arrives. I usually buy from vendors that will honor returns or have buyer protection.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum