• Advertisement

String Trimmer Woes

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

String Trimmer Woes

Postby dennis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:16 am

Have an old Homelite UT20680 string trimmer. It starts right up, runs well for a couple of minutes, then rpms go down, up, down, up, down,up for about a minute, then it runs really well. Cleaned carb, new fuel filter, new spark plug. What can be causing this?
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: String Trimmer Woes

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:46 am

To me it sounds like an air leak.

Make sure the cylinder to crankcase gasket is good and that the cylinder bolts are tight along with the carburetor heat dam (intake manifold) bolts. This model feeds the impulse port through the cylinder gasket and it very thin in that area. Also pressure/vac the crankcase for air leaks especially the crankshaft seal and crankcase cover.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: String Trimmer Woes

Postby Merkava_4 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:15 pm

This may be a bit premature, but if you decide to replace the trimmer, I recommend the STIHL FS 91 R.

I got one a couple of weeks ago and I likes it. It has fully accessible Low and High speed mixture screws.
Merkava_4
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum