• Advertisement

Kawasaki FH680V

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kawasaki FH680V

Postby Merkava_4 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:05 pm

The carburetor uses two of these needle jets. Being that they have O-rings on them, does that mean they're supposed to be screwed in all the way making them non-adjustable ?

And are the needle jets going into an air feed passageway, or are they going into a fuel feed passageway ?

Image Link:
https://www.rcappliancepartsimages.com/ ... 283576.jpg
Merkava_4
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Kawasaki FH680V

Postby bgsengine » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:36 pm

O-rings are there to provide for friction to hold adjustment in place there are some Zama carburetors like that too
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Merkava_4 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:41 pm

bgsengine,

So does that mean they're adjustable needles that are going into fuel passages ? That have welch plugs over the needles. I don't see no reason in removing the welch plugs unless the needles are adjustable. By the way, there's two needles because the engine is a twin cylinder I'm assuming.
Last edited by Merkava_4 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby 38racing » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:44 pm

bgsengine wrote:O-rings are there to provide for friction to hold adjustment in place there are some Zama carburetors like that too

A few pennies cheaper that a spring?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Merkava_4 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:52 pm

38racing wrote:A few pennies cheaper that a spring?

Briggs & Stratton used to have some that had an O-ring, a washer, and a backup spring.

That was on the Two Piece Flow-Jet.
Last edited by Merkava_4 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:52 pm

Merkava_4 wrote:So does that mean they're adjustable needles that are going into fuel passages ? That have welch plugs over the needles. I don't see no reason in removing the welch plugs unless the needles are adjustable. By the way, there's two needles because the engine is a twin cylinder I'm assuming.

Well .. kinda ask yourself - what would be the point of having needles like that , if not meant to be adjusted? If they had cross-drilled holes (however tiny) then it'd be understandable since they would be jets (AKA Pilot Jets) but a solid tapered needle like that is an adjustment needle - and as being adjustable, obviously not something with a torque setting, so how else would they be held in place other than the o-ring providing friction (as the O.D. is compressed into the recessed hole the shoulder fits into) - then they are sealed with welch plug (or limiter plugs) which was pretty much their (no longer permissible) means of anti-tampering to comply with EPA compliance regulations...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Merkava_4 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:02 pm

bgsengine wrote:Well .. kinda ask yourself - what would be the point of having needles like that , if not meant to be adjusted? If they had cross-drilled holes (however tiny) then it'd be understandable since they would be jets (AKA Pilot Jets) but a solid tapered needle like that is an adjustment needle - and as being adjustable, obviously not something with a torque setting, so how else would they be held in place other than the o-ring providing friction (as the O.D. is compressed into the recessed hole the shoulder fits into) - then they are sealed with welch plug (or limiter plugs) which was pretty much their (no longer permissible) means of anti-tampering to comply with EPA compliance regulations...

I'm asking this question because I thought they might be pilot jets like on the Pulsa-Jet carburetor. I wanted to be sure before I tell the guy on LawnSite what to do. And like 38racing said, I'm used to mixture needles being held in place by backup springs. The O-rings threw me for a loop.

And tell the EPA that my 1968 Horizontal shaft Briggs & Stratton model 6B on my McLane edger with the adjustable Vacu-Jet carburetor runs cleaner than any of their tamperproof carbs could ever dream of.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:36 am

They are adjustable but most times you don't need to access them. If being remove you lightly seat them counting numbers each as you do so you can put them back in the original position. Here is a extract copy of the cut away view image from the service manual.

Service Manual is available at K&T Parts House website under Kawasaki.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum