• Advertisement

Onan Id help needed...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Onan Id help needed...

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:02 pm

I just got in a JD 318 with an Onan engine. I need a little help in determining which engine it is. I know it is either a B43G or a P218G. Meanwhile I keep looking to see if can find tag on it. I believe it is probably the B43G since I have a battery coil on it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Onan Id help needed...

Postby bgsengine » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:34 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I just got in a JD 318 with an Onan engine. I need a little help in determining which engine it is. I know it is either a B43G or a P218G. Meanwhile I keep looking to see if can find tag on it. I believe it is probably the B43G since I have a battery coil on it.

P218G would be the Performer series and will have solid state ignition (but still uses B+ to the coil) The B43 would more commonly have points I think (top of engine in a long breaker box cover?) although I think there are some made with solid state ignition

*typically* the Performer series were painted all black.. Kind of hard to describe the differences in them , havent really seen any in a long time - coils are different though Performers had heat related issues with the coil (at least some did) Probably could recognize it right off with a picture of it...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:04 pm

The 318 had a serial number tag on the dash (for the tractor) under the steering column and the Onan engine normally has a metal tag on it also with the Onan ID info.

You can try this link and then click on full engine details or engine. (tells when the B43 and P218 series engines were used on the 318 per the serial number)

http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractor ... e-318.html

and

I found a free service manual download for the 318 on line after lots of stumbling around.

Think maybe it came from this link but not sure.

http://www.manualsdir.com
and then from the manuals link to garden eq then to John Deere then 318 and finally ended up at this link and after couple tries got the free 318 SERVICE manual download. Very good, like 440 pages.
http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/60088 ... 6-420.html

Take a peek under the air breather on the air cowling for the Onan engine ID tag.
Also once you ID the type of Onan engine you can locate online free ONAN service and parts manuals info for the ONAN engine.
Last edited by Arkie on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:12 pm

I'll see if I can get some images tomorrow. Any particular area or angle you need me to snap?

Personally this is the first Onan I have seen in person. So I am clueless as which it is, just one of the two according to IPL of the 318. I haven't found he mower serial number tag either but these like to go AWOL.

Customer said he had it running for 30 minutes shut it down and it won't fire back up. Right I thinking it is having start problem as I can't get the start to spin; sound like the bendix is giving problems. Battery voltage didn't drop below 11v so I thinking is a mechanical problem with starter. The guy can't be a rush as it took him over 6 months to even bring it to me.

Just was too tire and aching to fool with it this afternoon. I pushed my luck and use a trimmer for over 30 minutes around lunch time. Still recouping from hurting my back two weeks ago. Friday last week while I getting up from being on all fours it pop back into place; hurt like heck when it did and it actually scared me somewhat as I thought I shattered a vertebrae.

For now I going back to lazy chair and the heat pad as the Excedrin capsules are wearing off. At least I getting around without the clutches the last couple days.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:23 pm

Well if you got pics, probably looking sorta down-angle from the front (just liek you were standing looking at it) and one from the back and then one "straight down" over the air cleaner and with a good view of the coil area - if it's a P series, it'll be pretty much instantly recognizable - if it is a B series with breaker box the box is "in back" of the air cleaner and held in with a single screw (points adjusted with an allen wrench, as I recall) - If you can find a breaker box, it is *definitively* a B series (they'll be about 3/4-7/8 inch wide and maybe 5 or 6 inch long - that sorta shape, and 2-3 inch tall - Sort of like the K-series Kohler breaker covers but a lot longer and taller) as the Performers were always electronic ignition, far as I ever saw.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Stay calm around that 318 or you will be needing your crutches again and some more pills if it's the starter bad.

Usually have to lift the Onan engine to get the starter off. :( :cry:

and if he had it running for 30 min and it quit, he probably ruined the starter over cranking the engine when working on the engine for other problems. ;)

Mower deck info is located in section 80, group 10 of the 318 service manual. (takes some visual ID looking at pictures, etc, to ID the JD deck model when the tag has went south. Lots of parts on flea bay for the decks.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:54 am

See if these are what you needing Brian.
Image Image
Can't get one of the back of the engine firewall in the way. I look over the mower body for the decal and it is definitely AWOL. That silver in the picture has nothing left on it either.

Arkie, yelp the engine will need pulling to access the starter as it is behind the frame but that's why I have a baby 2 ton engine crane from HFT that some of my customers laugh at me for using. I actually looking to buy the 1 ton Gantry crane as the folding crane legs get in the way. Already see that someone has had it before as miss matched bolts are in there.

Don't need to worry about the deck as there is none.

I will start an estimate of an estimating cost as this customer has already strung me on an Echo trimmer repair. Had to make one out of two that just sitting out in the rain under those flex shafts and clutch drum housing bearing locked up then stiff me on the repairs so it is money up front with this guy. He only okay a max of $100 in repairs up front if over wants an estimate and I knew that it would be over that right off the start. This time I am going want my estimate fee upfront besides two hours of labor will that $100 without parts.

I got an idea that I will be wasting my time on this one but at least I get some experience on the Onan engine which I need.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:39 pm

Working through some redneck wiring. No wonder the starter don't work battery not even properly grounded loosely bolted to a painted surface. Too cheap to even run a decent hot wire from the + post to the 30A breaker. Bare spots nearly touching the frame. I got an idea that this is the whole problem with it not starting.

As for engine was able to read the silver tag through photo enhancement software here.I had to get an angle shot of the tag where I could see a possible printing. I was able to add enough contrast that I could make out it is a P218G with the first three numbers of the serial.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:45 pm

My first reaction from first pic was "B Series" but closer look, you got the wires off coil going down behind flywheel it appears which would make it the Performer But that is definitely a mess and it is missing the cooling shroud tin from the side where coil is (voltage regulator fastens to it normally) Not to mention the heat shielding over the exhaust pipes (Supposed to be more ton over that and shielding heat from the coil which as you can see is quite close to the exhaust) Given that the coil is like $250 all by itself and most other parts are high-dollar (Cummins owns Onan now) and much of it obsoleted, I'd probably not even want to give an estimate much less do any repairs on it - it is in such sad shape.. (unless of course the tin I mentioned has been removed for the photos?)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:25 pm

No, I haven't removed anything for the pictures; open the hood. I have since got the battery cables repaired. Still would not turn over so I did a battery test and the 450 540 CCA was at 66 CCA. After some charging I was able to get the engine spin over and found no spark. So I definitely got an ignition problem. The service manual is very vague on troubleshooting; goes only about replacement of coil and the pickup.

On the Coil 166–0761 it looks like I can get one for $77 plus shipping. The ignition module is shown to be $99 but the site operator is out until Nov 1 as he is on a fishing trip (Basically on vacation). Also the Ignition rotor is about $50-$55
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum