• Advertisement

Briggs & Stratton 124L02-0212-F1

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs & Stratton 124L02-0212-F1

Postby Merkava_4 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 pm

124L02-0212-F1
Code: 08010858

Are the knock off carbs on Ebay any good ? The genuine Briggs & Stratton carburetor is made in China anyway. If they were made in USA, I'd buy the real thing and not even ask about knock offs. But the real thing is made in China too. They say it on the box in the eBay pictures. The genuine carb is about $40 and the knock offs are about $10.

Genuine carb:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-O-E-M-B ... 1438.l2649

Knock off carb:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Carburetor- ... Sw4CFYpVlR

Oregon Aftermarket
http://www.outdoorpowerdeals.com/carbur ... le-498170/
Last edited by Merkava_4 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkava_4
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Briggs & Stratton 124L02-0212-F1

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:58 am

I don't know about anyone else but I had a very bad time this year with after market products. There is a lot bad products beings dump on us. I don't they can ship to the US, reship, and still make profit if the product was a quality product.

On the few carbs that I have ordered through Ebay none of them worked right. Personally with the problems I had this year I would not trust them.

I am right now losing a lot time and patience over 6 spindles that are after market that are made wrong. Five of them came my Sunbelt distributor and one through an Amazon vendor. Even MTD is apparently having a problem with ones from their Chinese source as they currently have them on back order. Every one that I receive have excessive bearing play where taper bearing are to have none especially when tighten to 100 ft lbs. Then the resulting blade height is 7/32 higher than the other blades then if you push up on the spindle shaft it become a 1/4". On top this the press in seals are falling out. I took a little extra time to see the problem is. They have recess the lower bearing cup by an extra 1/4" and seal area is oversized.

I either got to buy a Cub Cadet spindle locally if I can find one or rebuild the one here by drilling out three broken bolts and installing a pair of trailer bearings that is if the seals can be reused.

This isn't the only problems I have been having either. I having been receiving belts labeled for OEM size to only find them nearly an inch shorter than the labeled spec.

All this from a trusted vendor that I have been with since 2009. Do they really think I am going $1000 to $3000 buying parts for next year during the annual sale with the problems I had this year. Well I not... Right it appears that the Chinese are just dumping their rejects on us and the un-suspecting public.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: Briggs & Stratton 124L02-0212-F1

Postby Merkava_4 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:37 am

After posting this thread, I started reading the reviews on Amazon. Apparently, Amazon has been getting a lot of aftermarket carbs and selling them as Genuine O.E.M. Briggs & Stratton. The floats are made out of some cheap plastic that start taking on fuel after about a month. Most of the people don't know they've been sent an aftermarket carb, but one guy figured it out and took pictures. They look exactly like the aftermarket carbs on Ebay. The dead giveaway is one of the mounting holes is elongated, and then there's the pressed in brass fuel line barb. The O.E.M. carbs have the fuel line barb as part of the casting and they're the same material has the casting. I think what I'm going to do is buy one off Ebay that's a Genuine O.E.M. from a seller that sells mower parts and only mower parts.
Merkava_4
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum