• Advertisement

Carburetor Rebuild Kits vs New Carburetors

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Carburetor Rebuild Kits vs New Carburetors

Postby Merkava_4 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:32 pm

124L02-0212-F1
Code: 08010858

How do you know when it's time to replace the entire carburetor as opposed to just installing a kit?

I got a Briggs & Stratton carburetor that looks to be in good shape, but it needs new gaskets and a new float seat.

The glossy black plastic throttle shaft is a flat black where it was rotating inside the throttle shaft bore.
Is that slight scuffing still acceptable, or will it create a path for unmetered air to enter?

The carb kit doesn't come with a new plastic throttle shaft.
Merkava_4
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Carburetor Rebuild Kits vs New Carburetors

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:49 pm

I haven't any problem with them other than some swelling causing binding which you basically sand it down some. But if you worry about the plastic version PN 799868 then you could usethe metal version PN 493267 both are the same cost. As for replacement since I normally only replace the bowl gasket, needle seat kit and the air cleaner gasket it is the way I usually go unless there is some severe corrosion involved then it is a new carb. Just the way I do it to cut costs due the penny pinching customers.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Merkava_4 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:09 pm

It's about $11 for a rebuild kit and $32 for a whole new O.E.M. carburetor from ebay.

If for some reason the carb kit doesn't make it happen, then I'm out the $11 I could've spent on a whole new carb.

Throttle shaft is not swollen; it's just has a slight abrasion from being used.

Thanks for the part number to the metal version; I'll look into that. :)
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:14 pm

Merkava_4 wrote:It's about $11 for a rebuild kit and $32 for a whole new O.E.M. carburetor from ebay.
So, unless your labor rate is less than 40 bucks an hour, you (and your customer) would come out ahead with a new carb Half hour labor at $50/hr (which would be pretty darn cheap) would make a $36 carb assuming you dont replace throttle shaft and the repair kit does the job...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Luffydog » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:26 pm

That's a no brained there it would be a new carb for sure!!!
Luffydog
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:37 pm

Merkava_4 wrote:It's about $11 for a rebuild kit and $32 for a whole new O.E.M. carburetor from ebay.

Strange the job I just got through with the after market kit I use is less $5 cost which I normally stock. I sell them for $9.50. Only a few times I need the 1/8" thick bowl gasket instead of the 1/16" gasket and I have them normally left from bowl replacements. I have only replaced one of these carburetors since 2014 and that was because water had eaten away the tower. Of course there is parts in the kit I don't use; some are thrown away.

That reminds I need to add 10 kits to my next regular order which I am placing Friday. The only variable in my cost is the shipping charges but since I stock these and add them on regular orders the cost is minimal if not zero.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Merkava_4 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:04 am

KE4AVB wrote:Strange the job I just got through with the after market kit I use is less $5 cost which I normally stock. I sell them for $9.50.

What's the brand name of the aftermarket kits you order? Are they Stens or Oregon? The kit I mentioned for $10.99 is a genuine Briggs & Stratton carb kit made in China. Free shipping. Local price is $14.99. Some of those kits I notice for sale on eBay are missing the washer gasket for the bowel nut so I gotta be careful.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:13 am

Let me PM as getting into shop level pricing and we do need some our resources confidential or at least I do as customer tend to use it against us.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:51 pm

Previously, I have been real leery trying any of the China-made carbs. On a recommendation, I recently bought this one on EBay for an old 1970 Tecumseh HS40 that we are restoring:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-For- ... 8a1cce%3Ag
It looks IDENTICAL to the 47 year old OEM Tecumseh carb. I installed it as it came out of the box and the engine started and ran on just the second pull. After a little tweaking (the carb is fully adjustable!) of the high and low speed screws it now starts on the first pull, idles nice and runs perfectly. We will still rebuild the OEM Tecumseh carb that came on this engine, however, this carb costs less than the rebuild kit!
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum