• Advertisement

honda gx390 rusty cylinder

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

honda gx390 rusty cylinder

Postby Az Shadeguy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:22 pm

I have a gx390 that looks like it had water in the cylinder at some time.
The rings are stuck in the piston.
The rust is not very thick Would a ball hone take care of this without having to go with oversized rings?
The cylinder measures 3-9/16 would a 3-1/2 hone work what grit should it be?
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: honda gx390 rusty cylinder

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:31 am

With rust it can be pitted in places.

Cylinder specs for a standard bore on the GX390 are 88 mm x 64 mm [3.5" x 2.5"]. On my caliper 3.5" converts to nearly 88.89 mm. Double check your measurements. If it is already 3-9/16 [90.4mm] your in the oversizing range already as I would ovaling and tapering has occurred.

You use a 280-320 grit should fine for just rust and glaze breaking. Note a ball or flex hone will clean up and make any cylinder oval or taper worse. Here I use 180 grit for finish resizing cast iron sleeves and only 280 grit for aluminum bores.

EDIT: Also if the cylinder is at 3-9/16 you're already pass the available oversizing parts of .75 mm [.030"].
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:29 pm

How (what measuring tool) did you measure it?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby Az Shadeguy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:47 pm

I measured it with a tape measure just to see what size of ball hone.
Now I have used a 3" ball hone and cleaned it up about 90%.
When I used a bore guage and a digital caliper{both harbor freight] I get range of 87.93 to 87.98 measuring top, middle and bottom both horizontal and vertical.
This engine looks to have very few hours on it.
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Postby creia » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:54 pm

OK, now we're talking! Your measurements of 87.93mm to 87.98mm are a hell of a lot better than the 3 9/16" (90.5 mm) you originally provided.I suspected that you used a tape measure and that is why I asked.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:31 am

Az Shadeguy wrote:When I used a bore guage and a digital caliper{both harbor freight]

I have tried those telescopic gauges from HFT but found they weren't as accurate as a set of manual gauges I have when used with the digital caliper. Maybe just me but the reading were consistently short of my manual caliper; of course, my manual caliper has sharper points when compared to those rounded ends of the telescopic gauges.

But anything is better than a plain old tape measure when we talking about fractional amounts in the thousandths.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Az Shadeguy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:21 pm

I have tried those telescopic gauges from HFT but found they weren't as accurate as a set of manual gauges

What kind of manual gauges? Do you have a brand name?
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:05 am

I usually the circle item for inside cylinder measurements along with my digital caliper. The others I seldom use except in my wood working projects; unless, what I need measuring is not easily accessible.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Dale_W » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:45 am

KE4AVB
Thank you for posting that picture. I know buried somewhere in a drawer I have a caliper like the one circled.

I recently acquired a Honda HR215K1 HMA mower. (beautiful machine, when the engine ran). You may recall my recent posts asking about a replacement engine for that mower.

Roym was correct in his assessment that I am not comfortable rebuilding an engine for somebody else.

At some point in time I will open the engine up, and depending on what all is wrecked, I may take some measurements and see about an oversized piston and rings for it.
I am comfortable rebuilding an engine for me.

My son has a Yamaha ATV, single cylinder 660 cc four stroke overhead cam. The stealership was happy to sell me a once-over piston and rings. (for this, once over means .20) and they sent out the cylinder (with new piston) to be bored. Wow. Who ever bored it did a great job matching the bore to the piston.

If the Honda engine is not too far gone, I may have it bored, by somebody. There is a Harley Davidson Shop about a mile from my house that does all engine work.

Do you think they'd give me a good price on a Honda engine bore job? hahahah

OK not gonna hijack this thread.

Just wanted to say thanks for the picture.

Dale
Dale_W
Guide

Postby Az Shadeguy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:54 pm

I usually the circle item for inside cylinder measurements along with my digital caliper. The others I seldom use except in my wood working projects; unless, what I need measuring is not easily accessible

Thank you I will try one of those
Do you keep the piston in while checking bore?
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum