• Advertisement

Onan Id help needed...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Onan Id help needed...

Postby Arkie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:39 am

I've used this type regulator on the Onan engines with good results.

222654013123 flea bay number @ $25
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONAN-VOLTAGE-RE ... xydlFSvhdQ

You can find them for little less price than this one with little bit of searching. I try to avoid the China ones which is not an easy task now days.

Some of the obsolete voltage vintage regulators on other eq that use the B43/B48 and P series Onans have very expensive regulators and I've used this type as a replacement. I make sure the B+ output is fused. (and I temp fuse at least one of the AC stator leads so as to make sure the stator winding is not Over loaded when I first start the eq) A bad stator winding on a 318 is sad news. :cry: You might check the AC out voltage of the stator before going after a reg if you have not already done so.. The AC out and ohms readings are in the Service manual for the stator windings.

Most generally when I find a bad voltage reg on the Onans I can see where Bubba has been using jumper cables on the eq due to a battery that also needs replacing. (probably gets jumper cables backwards and shorts out the reg diodes and/or the bad battery has taken out the reg.)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Finally I got the P218G fixed on ignition problem. It was an electrical problem. It took getting the JD318 electrical diagrams. I supposed to had 12v on coil since there was no ballast resistor in the circuit instead 9v. It was a bad F56 terminal at the ignition switch. Boy was it tight getting to ignition switch wiring. Darn I am glad this one is out of my shop.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:32 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Finally I got the P218G fixed on ignition problem. It was an electrical problem. It took getting the JD318 electrical diagrams. I supposed to had 12v on coil since there was no ballast resistor in the circuit instead 9v. It was a bad F56 terminal at the ignition switch. Boy was it tight getting to ignition switch wiring. Darn I am glad this one is out of my shop.

Yep, them JD318's can inflict a lingering pain especially towards the rear end. (of yourself) ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum